Where is the love? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Where is the love?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Where is the love?

Postby latraffic » Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:06 pm

Okay, the news is out that Blake was tossed by the Cards. There's a whole thread on that already but the question I have that is not addressed in the other post is this - where's the love?

Why is it some players just get labled as "low quality" even though (from where I sit anyway) they appear to be solid guys? Blake is what brought this to mind for me. Here is a guy who's got the arm and the experience and played well at times even though he's been on teams that overall SUCKED (Cincinnati, N.O., and AZ). Why does nobody want him to stay around?

Other examples - what is up with the Brad Johnson business in Tampa Bay? Johnson gets no respect even though he's been a standup guy in Minn, Washington and got them the ring in Tampa Bay?

Or Dilfer, speaking of QBs who get you the ring and then get delt away. Why did he get the "damaged goods" sticker on his back?

Then there is Fiedler. He can't catch a break. He's not superman but he's not garbage either (although in Miami they seem to think so). Personally, I can't see Brunell being an improvement (and Griese sure wasn't).

I honestly don't get it. Maybe it's something they do in the locker room or something they say to the coaches but in a league that is a bit short of QB quality... I'm confused.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:17 pm

first off if you go and get all the NFL QBs they are all going to be really good at throwing the football...so most have "the arm" to be in the NFL...and when your team sucks you must look at the leaders to be a problem...offensive leaders start with the QB so theyre going to make a change
you also have to look WHY teams won the ring with their QB...sure brad was ok but their defense is obviously what won the SB...and solid QBs have consistency, unlike johnson...and johnson does get some respect-the amount he has deserved himself this year
and fiedler isnt a leader sort of guy you would want at QB and he hasnt impressed me at all...and brunell isnt all theyre looking at...and short in QB quality? i really wouldnt say that...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:02 pm

Too much is said about a QB with a ring. Dilfer is not a good QB. He was a decent QB on a team that had an awsome Defence. The QB is your leader, but how good your team is or isn't is a reflection of the team. Some players have it, some don't. Dilfer was good enough to not loose games, but he wasn't good enough to win games. I think the same could be said for Johnson, Fiedler, and Blake.
Besides, how long has Blake been around? If McCown is thier long term answer, or if they decide to draft one of those QBs this year, why keep an aging vetran around who will never help your team win?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby latraffic » Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:17 pm

I see your logic - but what IF say Blake had been on a team that wasn't crap? What if he'd had good coaching and someone who had confidence in him at some point, say like Delhomme did in Carolina this season, would that be part of the difference? I guess I'm just wondering what makes a Tom Brady different than a Trent Dilfer.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:44 pm

i dont think he would be good still. he isnt like brady because brady is a very smart playmaker who can throw the ball when called upon. he doesnt have great WRs either or a RB to back him up but he still can get it done.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:55 pm

Dilfer got a shot in Seattle and failed.

When he first arrived, he was named backup to Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck didn't thrive under Holmgren like what was previously thought (second coming of Favre). Hasselbeck was later benched for Dilfer who put on quite a show as the starter.

The following year, Dilfer was named the starter in pre-season and was frequently injured. Hasselbeck had his string of awesome games, and Dilfer's job security was gone.

This season, he has a tough pre-season. His kid died earlier in the year, he hurt his knee, etc.

Fiedler is good, but not spectacular, ala Dilfer in Baltimore. His job is to not lose games for the team, just do enough to let Ricky do his thing better. Brunell would be a huge improvement over Fiedler because he can run like Fiedler, but can also throw the ball downfield and make plays on a regular basis for his team, something Fiedler cannot do.

I don't get why Brad Johnson keeps getting tossed around. He can throw the ball with some of the best. His mobility is definitely an issue, but "athletic QBs" are often overrated, anyway. Give me a good pocket QB with a good offensive line anyday.

As for Blake, he just hasn't ever had a shot on a decent team. He's always been somewhat of a rental player who is tossed aside when his respective team finds their "QB of the future," (Aaron Brooks in N.O., or Josh McCown in Arizona) or at least a cheaper filler than him to wait for that future someone (like Jon Kitna was in Cinci). He's definitely capable of making plays and is fairly cheap to sign. It wouldn't surprise me to see him end up in Dallas if someone else doesn't sign there.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:45 pm

I've always felt that Blake's problem is that his weakness is the short or touch passes that are needed to fit into the west-coast offenses that are so fashionable in the NFL. He would do well in the old Raider-style passing game that values deep passes to stretch the D. His best season was when the Bengals(?) let him throw the ball down field.
As for Fiddler and Dilfer they fit into the NFL system so can hold jobs with marginal talent.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:47 pm

I love you latraffic. ;-D

Jeff Blake is not a guy you bring in to make your team better. He's a journeyman QB who needs some guys around him to be good. He can be effective. but he's not someone you build a franchise around. The Cards think they have a guy in McCown who can lead the team, no need for Blake.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby badger526 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:21 pm

I personally don't think cutting Blake was a bad decision for the Cards. Plus, you simply have to trust that the coaching staff knows more about the QB's ability. We don't see the Cards' pratices. Blake was on the Ravens for a season, wasn't he? The Ravens are a decent team with a good defense and he didn't do all that well there. :-t
The 2004-2005 Shook-up Can of Fury
QB Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner
RB Deuce, Rudi, Michael Pittman
WR Jimmy Smith, Randy Moss, David Terrel
TE LJ Smith
K John Hall
D Seahawks
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk