Denver's Portis could sit out - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Denver Broncos

Denver's Portis could sit out

Moderator: Football Moderators

Denver's Portis could sit out

Postby WebHamster » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:26 am

Honolulu, HI (Sports Network) - Denver's Pro Bowl running back Clinton Portis may hold out next season if the Broncos do not renegotiate his contract before training camp.

Portis, the NFL's 2002 offensive rookie of the year, has two years left on the four-year contract he signed after being selected in the second round out of the University of Miami two Aprils ago.

He received a $1.29 million signing bonus, and is scheduled to make $380,000 for this coming season, and $455,000 in 2005. The team and player have traded contract proposals, but are far apart on the terms.

Despite missing three games due to ankle, knee and sternum injuries, Portis ran for a career-high 1,591 yards with 14 touchdowns, and led the league with a 5.5 yards-per-carry average. He also rushed for 5.5 yards-per-carry in his rookie campaign, when he rushed for 1,508 yards and 15 scores in 12 starts.

Denver is already nearly $5 million over the salary cap for the 2004 season, and may not be able to re-sign Pro Bowl middle linebacker Al Wilson, who has indicated that he will test the free-agent market. The team also faces the possibility of losing linebacker Ian Gold, defensive end Bertrand Berry and fullback Reuben Droughns.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 204)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:12 am

This front office has always done a remarkable job with the cap...but this one could be unfixable,,,Portis I've read has said he will NOT hold out......5mil over,,,,no defense and one of the best backs making .4 mil,,,,,,,,,,,ouch,,,
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:04 pm

yeah i saw portis with my own eyes say he will not hold out though he does want a raise...he said if he doesnt get it hell play cause hes the one who signed the contract and, rightfully so, has to abide by it. he wont be thrilled if he doesnt get it but will not hole out...even if he did theyd work it out ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Denver Broncos