Portis...Holdout??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Portis...Holdout???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Portis...Holdout???

Postby Guttpuppy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:58 am

Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News

RB Clinton Portis angrily denied a published report that he was considering staging a holdout if the Broncos failed to address his contract this off-season. Portis said he was displeased with the $300,000 salary he made in the second year of a four-year deal he signed in 2002. But he said he is prepared to live with terms of the contract, just as he did last season.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:04 am

When there's people like Clarett entering the draft it is nice to see somebody with maturity in a situation where he deserves more but is willing to play for a mere 300k. The guys has a lot of years left in him barring a major injury and will get enough money during his career, I am glad he wasn't a jack like Duce.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dihall » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:27 am

Agreed Zimm!! I am anxious to see though if that statement is really true or he will stick with it when push comes to shove. They talk the talk when they see people getting angry about things they have said, but will he walk the walk??? :-? If he sticks with that thinking, I respect him even more as a person and a great player!
Don't ever underestimate the girls!!

Let's go DAWGS!!
dihall
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:58 am

Portis is more like a donkey than a Bronco if he plays for what he is being paid. Studs should be paid like studs, not like back-ups. I'm thinking he floated the holdout thing out there and was told that a new contract is already in the works.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bennyboy » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:33 pm

Exactly right mooch.
bennyboy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Buckychudd » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:38 pm

moochman wrote:Portis is more like a donkey than a Bronco if he plays for what he is being paid. Studs should be paid like studs, not like back-ups. I'm thinking he floated the holdout thing out there and was told that a new contract is already in the works.

Maybe, but the Broncs have some serious salary cap issues already. Not sure how much they can afford to pay him.....he certainly won't get paid what other top RBs are getting.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Homeless » Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:50 pm

I would imagine the emergence of Griffin has somehting to do with Portis not becoming a hold out.
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:40 pm

moochman wrote:Portis is more like a donkey than a Bronco if he plays for what he is being paid. Studs should be paid like studs, not like back-ups. I'm thinking he floated the holdout thing out there and was told that a new contract is already in the works.

That sounds about right.

Buckychudd wrote:Maybe, but the Broncs have some serious salary cap issues already. Not sure how much they can afford to pay him.....he certainly won't get paid what other top RBs are getting.

I'm not a capologist (none of us are I don't think), so I can't really say how bad they are at a shade under $2M over the cap. It doesn't seem so horrible to me. Last year they were about $20M over the cap.

Homeless wrote:I would imagine the emergence of Griffin has somehting to do with Portis not becoming a hold out.

If I were Portis, I wouldn't really be afraid of Griffin. He had one good game against the Colts and that's it. He's smaller than Charlie Garner and the little guys never get that much respect other than 3rd down/passing down situations.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby badger526 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:38 pm

Maybe the Broncos feel like they can do fine without Portis. Every running back to go through there recently has been successful. Davis, Gary, Anderson, and now Portis. Their O-line is pulling the load. Don't get me wrong though, Portis is a great player.
The 2004-2005 Shook-up Can of Fury
QB Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner
RB Deuce, Rudi, Michael Pittman
WR Jimmy Smith, Randy Moss, David Terrel
TE LJ Smith
K John Hall
D Seahawks
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:03 pm

badger526 wrote:Maybe the Broncos feel like they can do fine without Portis. Every running back to go through there recently has been successful. Davis, Gary, Anderson, and now Portis. Their O-line is pulling the load. Don't get me wrong though, Portis is a great player.

The point I have been trying to make for a while now...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk