College Football - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

College Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

College Football

Postby CC » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:02 pm

Has this Clarett ruling ruined college football?
Depriving the NFL of its "farm system" can't do any good for the NFL or for the NCAA.
In comparison, I love watching college basketball, but would college basketball not be more enjoyable if Lebron and Carmelo and countless others were still in it.
I don't want the NFL Draft to end up like the NBA Draft because of one selfish kid.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:25 pm

I agree that it's bad for the quality of the NFL. Football players need that additional training in college because at every level the skill of the competition increases dramatically (HS-College-Pro).

I read that the entire NFL had agreed to not draft anyone who wins a case like Clarett's, although that's probably just another crazy NFL conspiracy making its rounds.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby TTTBone » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:37 pm

Okay, I was about to start a new thread on this, but noticed there are already too many. My thoughts: It looks bad, I mean, this is not MLB or the NBA, it's obvious the vast majority of these kids are simply not ready for the NFL. Hell, half the first rounders are already not ready for the NFL.
However, what I was going to start my new thread about was the future of NFL Europe. NFLE has already developed into a pretty credible NFL farm system, and I think teams would be willing to take some chances on young talent, and allow them to develop in the NFLE "farm-system". I don't neccesarily think this is a bad thing (okay maybe for college ball it is). Still, I think for the most part it would operate more like MLB, where very few of the really young guys can actually make the immediate jump to the majors, and would have to work their way up through the ranks; and a lot of these young talented players may be better served to develop in a system which greater challenges their talents and skills, rather than through playing college ball.
That being said, I still don't like the ruling, it will cause too many unproven players to forego their educational opportunities to chase the dream of NFL glory, and ultimately leave far too many of them high and dry.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Canacuna » Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:40 pm

...Maybe start a draft for those without the three years of post high school that would send them to Europe to make very little money and to develop their skills, rather than have them enter the NFL and degrade the quality of the league? Sounds better than allowing for something like what is happening with the NBA. I don't want "projects" like Maurice Clarett coming out every year (although hopefully he'll stay in school).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:08 pm

I think the amount of younger players who would actually succeed in the NFL would deter most of them from declaring too early. I think the majority of them will stick with the norm of 3-4 seasons of playing time before they make the jump.

I also agree with TTTbone with NFL Europe developing into a farm type system. The only real problem is NFL Europe starts 3 weeks before the NFL draft. They'd have to either move the draft up, move the season back, or a combination of the two.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:00 am

I don't think it will have as big as an impact on football that it has on basketball. The physical presence in football demands a physical maturity that most players don't have in high school. If the ruling stands and the NFL doesn't find a loophole to keep inhibit player freedom, the NCAA should smell the roses and stop pretending that these are student-athletes. Those that are-great, those that aren't-give them an education in a football related future.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Return to Football Talk