1st Dynasty Draft, How am I doing? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

1st Dynasty Draft, How am I doing?

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st Dynasty Draft, How am I doing?

Postby The Great Gambini » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:31 am

I am in a 12 team dynasty draft just starting up. We are at the end of the 7th round, and I feel pretty good about the team I have put together thus far. I think I may have picked a few guys a little early, but I'll let you guys be the judge. I'll post my players, and notable players that went after them. Also, I made a big trade. The trade was: I gave up my Picks: 3-9, 4-4, and 6-4 for Picks: 2-9, 4-9, and 7-4.
Information: Start 1 QB, 1 WR, 1 RB, 3 WR/RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D. Standard Scoring.

Round 1, Pick 9
My selection: RB Ricky Williams
Notables: Edgerrin James, Fred Taylor, Marshall Faulk
My commentary: I really think this was a no brainer pick. This being a dynasty league, I'd be hesitant to take Faulk with those guys on the board. James and Taylor are more suited to be number two backs, and Ricky was a number one pick in my league last year, I don't think he should have fallen that much. I am quite pleased to build around him.

Round 2, Pick 4
My selection: RB Rudi Johnson
Notables: RB Stephen Davis, WR Torry Holt, WR Marvin Harrison, RB Kevan Barlow, QB Peyton Manning, QB Daunte Culpepper
My commentary: I had some trouble deciding between Rudi and Barlow here. After seeing how fragile Davis can be, I didn't want to build around him (plus he's getting up there in years). I think Moss is the only receiver I'd take before a second RB, and he was selected before my first round pick even. I have never been one to take a QB early.

Round 2, Pick 9
My selection: WR Torry Holt
Notables: RB Kevan Barlow, WR Chad Johnson
Commentary: I almost pulled the trigger on Barlow here, but after Randy Moss basically won my league this past year, I felt the need to have a stud WR like Holt. I would have taken Johnson if not for already having Rudi on my team. I dislike sharing points among teammates.

Round 4, Pick 9
My selection: RB Anthony Thomas
Notables: QB Matt Hasselbeck, WR David Boston
Commentary: This pick was basically a no brainer for me. Train was pretty much the only unproven back remaining, and none of the other WRs are guarantees. I like Hasselbeck, but I felt comfortable with my chances of grabbing a high quality QB a little later. To have Train as my 3rd string back, I am thrilled.

Round 5, Pick 9
My selection: QB Chad Pennington
Notables: QB Marc Bulger, TE Todd Heap, WR Javon Walker, RB Deshaun Foster
Commentary: Of all the players remaining, I felt Pennington the safest pick. Bulger was tempting because of his connection with Holt, but Pennington has a much larger upside, in my opinion. Almost grabbed Foster, but I already had 3 RBs and a few teams without QBs picked right after me.

Round 7, Pick 4
My selection: RB Charlie Garner
Notables: WR Rod Gardner, WR Tai Streets
Commentary: After a rough year for the Roiders, Garner was cast away, and I think he could be the surprise next year. Then again, it could be deja vu of this last year. In the 7th round and as my 4th RB, I think it is a risk well worth the draft pick.

Round 7, Pick 9
My selection: RB Chris Brown
Notables: WR Charles Lee, RB James Stewart, WR Ashley Lelie, WR Jerry Porter
Commentary: I may have reached a little for Brown, but again, he has tremendous upside. None of the other guys here fulfill my needs or are consistent, so I don't think this was a bad pick.

----------

So, what do you guys think?
Out of the trade I made, I got Torry Holt, Anthony Thomas, and Charlie Garner. He got Steve Smith, Donovan McNabb, and Lee Suggs. It might look like he got the slightly better end, but I'm thrilled to have a stud WR.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:50 am

Yea I'd have to say he probably got the better end, but you can't really complain about Torry Holt. My one question is: Do you only start 1 WR? Because if you start 2 or more it was very foolish to take 5 RBs before taking a second WR.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:13 pm

We start 1 qb, 1 wr, 1 rb, 3 wr/rb, 1 te, 1 k, 1 d
So my lineup so far is:

qb Pennington
wr Holt
rb Ri. Williams
te ?
wr/rb Ru. Johnson
wr/rb Thomas
wr/rb Garner
k ?
d ?
bench Brown

I will probably have someone else to start in the 5th spot instead of Garner, depending on how the rest of the draft shapes up. We are only required one WR.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:34 pm

The Great Gambini wrote:We start 1 qb, 1 wr, 1 rb, 3 wr/rb, 1 te, 1 k, 1 d
So my lineup so far is:

qb Pennington
wr Holt
rb Ri. Williams
te ?
wr/rb Ru. Johnson
wr/rb Thomas
wr/rb Garner
k ?
d ?
bench Brown

I will probably have someone else to start in the 5th spot instead of Garner, depending on how the rest of the draft shapes up. We are only required one WR.

in that case it looks like a good lineup so far. i was a little curious about the 5 rbs before i saw ur starting lineup requirements. looks good! ;-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Go Vikes » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:48 pm

I am in the same League. Here is my roster
1. Portis
2. W. Green
3. O. Smith
4. Leftwich
5. Wayne
6. Duce Staley
7. Willis McGahee
8. Eddie George
8. Meshawn
9. Jimmy Smith

I also traded for TJ Duckett. Gave up a 10th rounder and my two rook picks 1-10 and 2-3 for TJ, pick 8-9 and rookie pick 2-4.

Here is how I think my starting lineup might be

QB Byron Leftwich
RB Portis
WRMeShawn
RB/WRW. Green
RB/WRDuce Staley
RB/WREddie George
TE?
K?
DEF?

How am I doing. I took some young players a little early, but how is my team? And how do I look for the future? How was my trade? Thanks
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:51 pm

Besides Portis, all of your RB's are risky. Chris Brown will take many carries away Eddie George, William Green probably won't see the field, and we don't even know where Duce Staley will play next year.

And when you picked Wayne, what other WR's were on the table? Same goes for Byron.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Shatner8 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:56 pm

The worst thing he did, is take W. Green before Barlow, but it was great for me since i got Barlow ;-D , but anyway he has alot of question marks on his team. Wayne was taken before WR's like Price, Buress, KRob, Moulds, Toomer, McCardell...etc
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:57 pm

I'd say your draft looks pretty good so far, although I'm not sold on the A-Train/Garner picks. I probably would have grabbed another WR or younger RB with one of them (Brown in the 7th was a nice pick). Your lineup will look a lot better to me when Dillon is no longer with Cinci.

I'm also surprised Foster slipped so far in a dynasty league. I wouldn't have let him go that long.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Go Vikes » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:09 pm

VHawk15 wrote:Besides Portis, all of your RB's are risky. Chris Brown will take many carries away Eddie George, William Green probably won't see the field, and we don't even know where Duce Staley will play next year.

And when you picked Wayne, what other WR's were on the table? Same goes for Byron.

Shatner answered the WR question. I took byron6 picks before wayne. But Penny was still left.
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:14 pm

So instead of...

QB- Leftwich
RB- William Green
WR- Reggie Wayne

You could have had...

QB- Pennington
RB- Barlow
WR- Plaxico/Toomer/McCardell

:-?

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk