top 12 players - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

top 12 players

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby jeru » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:51 am

In my opinion:

1. Barlow, D.Davis and Rudi (and I rank them in that order) should be picked behind the big 7 plus Edge, Taylor, Faulk, Williams and S.Davis (at least in non-keeper leagues). It is a matter of debate whether they should be picked before the top 4 WRs, and would depend on whether you are a RB lover or prefer a balanced team. Personally, I think there is enough questions about all three of them that I would not take one of them with Harrison, Holt, Moss and TO still on the board, since those WRs are sure things while any or all of the RBs could flame out.

2. I think Boldin is for real, and should come close to duplicating his 2003 numbers in an improved offense; his yards will probably dip a bit to the 1100-1200 range but he should tack on a few extra TDs. I personally would take him first after the big 4 plus Chad Johnson and Hines Ward are gone.

3. Steve Smith will probably go off the board in the 3rd or early 4th round, between the 8th and 15th WR taken. I personally think he is a little overrated because he plays in such a run happy offense and because of his lack of size. He could be a one year wonder.

4. Once the top 15 RBs plus Manning and Culpepper and the top 6 WRs are off the board (mid 3rd round and beyond), I think Gonzalez is a safe pick because his production at the TE position exceeds anyone elses at that position by so much more than the difference between a top 10 WR and a top 20 WR would. Shockey, I would not touch until much later because he is very overrated. Remember that he only has 4 career TDs, he has had trouble staying healthy and his role might decrease under the new coach. After Gonzo, I personally would leave TEs to the very late rounds.

5. As for elite QBs, Manning and Culpepper are the only real elite QBs. I would not touch a QB in the first two rounds, but if one of them falls to the 3rd round (very unlikely), then you pretty much have to grab them. Beyond those two, there is noone that I would touch until the 5th, even Vick because his style makes him an injury risk and because he has yet to prove to be any more than a below average passer
jeru
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Strider » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:35 am

i will miss someone but it here goes
1 RANDY MOSS BABY
2 HOlmes
3 Portis
4 LT
5 Deuce McAllister
6 Edge (if he stays healthy)
7 Ricky (he had a rough year)
8 Manning
9 Green (i had to be honest in letting a packer on)
10 J. Lewis
Strider
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tonytexastony » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Who are you talking about Bucky? Not me I hope. I just joined this site and knew nothing about yall' league. That is why I asked. Dang! For a cartoon mouse you sure are grumpy.
tonytexastony
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Azrael » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:24 pm

jeru wrote:In my opinion:

1. Barlow, D.Davis and Rudi (and I rank them in that order) should be picked behind the big 7 plus Edge, Taylor, Faulk, Williams and S.Davis (at least in non-keeper leagues). It is a matter of debate whether they should be picked before the top 4 WRs, and would depend on whether you are a RB lover or prefer a balanced team. Personally, I think there is enough questions about all three of them that I would not take one of them with Harrison, Holt, Moss and TO still on the board, since those WRs are sure things while any or all of the RBs could flame out.

2. I think Boldin is for real, and should come close to duplicating his 2003 numbers in an improved offense; his yards will probably dip a bit to the 1100-1200 range but he should tack on a few extra TDs. I personally would take him first after the big 4 plus Chad Johnson and Hines Ward are gone.

3. Steve Smith will probably go off the board in the 3rd or early 4th round, between the 8th and 15th WR taken. I personally think he is a little overrated because he plays in such a run happy offense and because of his lack of size. He could be a one year wonder.

4. Once the top 15 RBs plus Manning and Culpepper and the top 6 WRs are off the board (mid 3rd round and beyond), I think Gonzalez is a safe pick because his production at the TE position exceeds anyone elses at that position by so much more than the difference between a top 10 WR and a top 20 WR would. Shockey, I would not touch until much later because he is very overrated. Remember that he only has 4 career TDs, he has had trouble staying healthy and his role might decrease under the new coach. After Gonzo, I personally would leave TEs to the very late rounds.

5. As for elite QBs, Manning and Culpepper are the only real elite QBs. I would not touch a QB in the first two rounds, but if one of them falls to the 3rd round (very unlikely), then you pretty much have to grab them. Beyond those two, there is noone that I would touch until the 5th, even Vick because his style makes him an injury risk and because he has yet to prove to be any more than a below average passer

I meant these questions to be examples, not all inclusive, just throwing some things out there. Even so, Jeru, real good post.

However, a couple things I'd like to comment on. While Shockey does not catch many touchdowns, he is a yardage hog and would be a couple picks after Gonzo (I think) in those leagues that reward yardage. I have to disagree on Steve Smith. I think he's a really good wideout who they just discovered this year, great hands, blazing speed, and excellent field awareness...another Heinz with more speed and minus the exceptional blocking talent. I agree Boldin is for real, simply put. Interesting comment on Vick...how big of a deterrent will his reckless style of play be?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:24 pm

Azrael wrote:What we need to talk about is what next? When do I take Barlow, Rudi, or DD? Will Boldin have a similar year? Can I afford to take Gonzo or Shockey earlier and pick up Fitzgerald later, hoping he has a Moss like rookie year. When can I expect Steve Smith to leave the board? Am i better off letting the premier QBs fly off the board while I add depth to my RB and WR position or is there a certain point when I am forced to take Manning or Culpepper?

These are the things that need to be discussed, not should LT or Holmes be first.

You can see the results of our slow mock draft that is running right now. :)
DD went with pick 2.01
Manning went with pick 2.02

I'll give an in-depth commentary after the draft is over...
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:34 pm

KingGhidra wrote:You can see the results of our slow mock draft that is running right now. :)

Very, very slow mock draft......
:-b
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:37 pm

Buckychudd wrote:
KingGhidra wrote:You can see the results of our slow mock draft that is running right now. :)

Very, very slow mock draft......
:-b

Yeah if we could just meet in a chat, that would be greaaaaaat.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby badger526 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:26 pm

Now this is only my opinion, but believe me; I know what I'm talking about:

1. Doug Johnson
2. Stacey Mack
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Neil O'Donnel
5. Rodney Peete
6. Emmit Smith
7. Dorsey Levens
8. Ki-Jana Carter
9. Bill Schroeder
10.Chris Doering
11.Bill Gramatica
12.Chris Fuama-am-s-sfi-jfsd-fala
The 2004-2005 Shook-up Can of Fury
QB Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner
RB Deuce, Rudi, Michael Pittman
WR Jimmy Smith, Randy Moss, David Terrel
TE LJ Smith
K John Hall
D Seahawks
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Shatner8 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:30 pm

badger526 wrote:Now this is only my opinion, but believe me; I know what I'm talking about:

1. Doug Johnson
2. Stacey Mack
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Neil O'Donnel
5. Rodney Peete
6. Emmit Smith
7. Dorsey Levens
8. Ki-Jana Carter
9. Bill Schroeder
10.Chris Doering
11.Bill Gramatica

I think you have Emmitt ranked a little low
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Canacuna » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:42 pm

badger526 wrote:Now this is only my opinion, but believe me; I know what I'm talking about:

1. Doug Johnson
2. Stacey Mack
3. Kordell Stewart
4. Neil O'Donnel
5. Rodney Peete
6. Emmit Smith
7. Dorsey Levens
8. Ki-Jana Carter
9. Bill Schroeder
10.Chris Doering
11.Bill Gramatica

That is the definitive list. My first 12 picks on my cheat sheet are finished! Whoohoo!

I'll just say that I think that Vick is way overrated. Yes, there's potential there, but until he passes for 3,000 yards and rushes for 1,000, there's no way I'd waste a high draft pick for him. Right now he belongs in the fourth with all of the other non-superstuds. Not ranked along with Culpepper and Manning, like I've seen him be drafted.

Here's a box score for his game against the Colts.

6 for 19 passing, 47 yards. 0 TDs, 1 INT.
4 rushes for 30 yards. 1 FUM, 1 FUML. 0 TDs.

That was one week after his game against the Panthers which he put up some good numbers. Every game after Carolina was sub-par at best. Nothing spectacular and non-existant consistancy.

Carolina Stats:

16 for 33 passing, 179 yards. 0 TDs, 1 INT.
14 rushes for 141 yards. 1 FUM, 0 FUML. 1 TD.

I realize he was coming off of an injury, but even his first season as a starter wasn't that impressive, IMO.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk