Futures of Veterans Uncertain - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Futures of Veterans Uncertain

Moderator: Football Moderators

Futures of Veterans Uncertain

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:30 am

As always, there should be a lot of big offseason movement this year. With a solid draft class incoming, some veterans may have their value slightly lowered. Let's breakdown these guys by position.

QB
Jeff Garcia - With a lot of teams set for the future at QB, if he leaves San Fran, he may not get the money he wants. SF might be ready to give Tim Rattay a shot.
Kurt Warner - Despite Bulger's late season struggles, Warner couldn't crack the lineup. What's next for this guy?
Tim Couch - Former number one pick, has never panned out to be a superstar. Will the Browns stick with him and his large salary, or go with Holcomb or another less expensive alternative?

RB
James Stewart - Has been productive for awhile, but missed all of last year. Will he ever regain his form, or a starting job?
Duce Staley - Has the tools to be a star, he just needs the right situation. Dallas, Washington, Chicago?
Anthony Thomas - Another solid year, but are the Bears looking to replace him?
Corey Dillon - For his sake, hopefully out of Cincinatti, but what's next? With a handful of solid RBs out there, he may not get the big money.
Eddie George - Starting to slow down, but still has a few years left in him. Will they be in Tennessee?
Jerome Bettis - The Bus seems to be beat up and worn down, but not wanting to call it quits. Will the Steelers get rid of him, or banish him to the bench?

WR
Terrell Owens - Is Atlanta his next destination, or could he be an Eagle next year?
Jimmy Smith - Getting up there in years, but still productive. Will he stay in Jacksonville to help mentor Leftwich and, possibly, a young WR?
Isaac Bruce - Clearly number two in St. Louis, but could be a stud elsewhere. Would the Rams let him go, and would any teams want him a 31 year old as a number two?
Keyshawn Johnson - He wants the damn ball, but he needs a damn team first.

TE
Shannon Sharpe - How many more years does this guy have left?
Antonio Gates - Productive at the end of the year, is he the Chargers' tight end of the future?
Boo Williams - Was a monster the last half of the year, will he do the same in 2004?

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shatner8 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:34 am

At QB, i wouldnt touch Warner or Couch until the late rounds of the draft, and even then id be hesitant. Staley could be great if he goes to the right place, same goes for Dillon. George and Bettis are getting older, and will be replaced by backups soon. Owens and Johnson will find homes and should have good years. Smith has a few good seasons left in him as a #1 WR. Bruce is losing catches to Holt, and that trend will probably continue next year. Gates and Boo are great sleeper picks IMO, but i wouldnt draft them too early
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Re: Futures of Veterans Uncertain

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:31 am

QB
Jeff Garcia - He will probably rework his deal and stay in San Fran. Most likely won't finish the season as the starter. I expect the 9ers to battle Zona for the bottom of the NFC West and Garcia will be blamed for it. He'll be on a short leash and probably out of a starters job by week 8-9.

Kurt Warner - Only way he plays is if Bulger gets injured.

RB
James Stewart - Decent. Draftable I guess. Too many young guys behind him pushing for time I think.

Duce Staley - 3 decent years in 7 season. I don't understand all the hype. I don't think he'll be a 300 carry back no matter where he goes. See below for his only good shot.

Anthony Thomas - Lovie Smith is trying to set up a St. Louis/KC type offense apparently. Thomas doesn't really seem to fit the mold of a Faulk or Holmes, but it's a contract year for him. Duce Staley makes a better Faulk than Thomas does...

Corey Dillon - I'll go along with the majority and say he ends up in Dallas. Big D is looking at Dlinemen in the draft, so they may look to replace Hambrick through FA or trade. New England would be the sleeper pick for Dillon.

Eddie George - He'll restructure and take his 3.0 average into the 2004 season. I'd expect Chris Brown to get at least 150 carries however.

Jerome Bettis - See above.

WR
Terrell Owens - Last I heard, Philly was looking at McCareins. There are reports that McNabb was pitching Owens at the Pro Bowl to come play in Philly. Owens and McCareins would be a nice duo in Philly, but they need some defensive help too. Maybe Sapp too...

Jimmy Smith - He'll be around and decent as long as he stays clean.
Isaac Bruce - Bruce is too valuable a WR for St. Louis to let go.
Keyshawn Johnson - Detroit and Jax have shown interest in him. I like him in Detroit, I might even draft him.

TE
Shannon Sharpe - Hard to believe he's been around for 15 years. If he stays, he's automatically top 4 TE material.
Antonio Gates - SHHHHHHHHHH! Don't tell anyone about my guy!
Boo Williams - If Conwell comes back healthy, I'd imagine Boo wouldn't have tremendous fantasy production.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:45 pm

One name not brought up is CHarlie Garner...he can get out of his contract thsi offseason or stay in OAK for one more year.

I dont ee him being a featured back for anyone...I hope to get one more good year out of him in my dynasty league....do you all see him going somewhere and being productive or should we toss him in with George and Bettis?
Arrowhead Nation
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Go Vikes » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:24 pm

[quote="The Great Gambini"]
Keyshawn Johnson - He wants the damn ball, but he needs a damn team first.
quote]

LOL
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:25 pm

Go Vikes wrote:
The Great Gambini wrote:Keyshawn Johnson - He wants the damn ball, but he needs a damn team first.

LOL

Haha, I thought you'd like that.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tonytexastony » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:32 pm

I think given the chance to play for a good team Couch could put up some much better numbers. I also think it is foolish of San Fran to write off Garcia for Rattay.
tonytexastony
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Football Talk