Antwoine Smith's next option? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Antwoine Smith's next option?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Antwoine Smith's next option?

Postby moochman » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:39 am

The Patriots are expected to announce that they will not exercise their option with Smith, this according to WDFN radio in Detroit.
Where do you think he'll end up next year?
How does this change the value of Kevin Faulk?
And mostly, does this open the door for them to use one of their 1,000 draft picks to choose Clarett???? Hmmm.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DUKE » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:50 pm

I don't really think it does anything special for Kevin Faulk. It means that they will be shopping for a back via FA or the draft. The Bengals will gladly give them Corey for one of those draft picks they have:-)
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby Azrael » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:01 pm

Smith will probably a role player wherever he goes. He's only had 2 decent years in his whole career and he's old for a running back, 32 1/2 by the time the season starts next year. He'll probably be a marginal 3rd back/decent 4th back to have.

Faulk could have his best season ever next year but his size concerns me. Even if he's not injured, I don't think he's big enough to be an every down back.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby pmix » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:11 pm

I hope it's Dillon. I grabbed him in our Dynasty League. ;-D He would be a great fit in NE. I can't see NE not grabbin a FA and relying on the draft.
pmix
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby NFLknowitall » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:34 pm

I'll bet you the farm that the Patriots are going to draft a back. There are too many good ones in this draft to pass up, besides they have 7 draft picks in the first 4 rounds... crazy! Faulk is a free agent, Smith is gone. Dillon is not a Patriots type of "Team Player" and will most likely never be in New England.

Time for Antowain Smith to retire with his two rings.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:40 pm

NFLknowitall wrote:Dillon is not a Patriots type of "Team Player" and will most likely never be in New England.

Agreed, no way he ends up in NE.....Belichick wouldn't have him.

I never thought Smith was anything special, and his contract just got to heavy to keep an average (at best) back. I really don't think this will make much of a splash in the FA market. Faulk's value rises slightly, but I'd want to see what NE does in the draft before I risk a pick on him.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Shatner8 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:42 pm

Buckychudd wrote:
NFLknowitall wrote:Dillon is not a Patriots type of "Team Player" and will most likely never be in New England.

I never thought Smith was anything special, and his contract just got to heavy to keep an average (at best) back. I really don't think this will make much of a splash in the FA market. Faulk's value rises slightly, but I'd want to see what NE does in the draft before I risk a pick on him.

I also dont see Dillon going to New England, i still think he will go to Dallas. Faulk still wont get goal line carries most likely, so his value doesnt raise too much
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Canacuna » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:42 pm

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Patriots letting Kevin Faulk go, resign Antowain Smith at a lower rate, and draft a rookie RB like Greg Jones or Chris Perry (or Stephen Jackson or Kevin Jones if one of the two are available).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Roseman » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:16 pm

I think Smith might be going to the unemployment line for the 04 season but some one will pick him up to be a backup.

I cant really see Faulk getting any more playing time than he does now next season he is just not a guy that can carry the load.

Knowing the way the Pats run their franchise I would expect them to for sure grab a guy in the first round to be the RB of the future I really cant see them making a run for one of the big name guys and spending all that money on one guy
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Lushcrush » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:01 pm

Shatner8 wrote:
Buckychudd wrote:

I also dont see Dillon going to New England, i still think he will go to Dallas. Faulk still wont get goal line carries most likely, so his value doesnt raise too much

I am wondering about Dillon to Dallas. If Parcells is such a tough guy, how in the world is he gonna put up with a t*rd like Dillon? i just don't see it ...
I'm just a little Hawaiian and a homesick Island boy,
I want to go back to my fish and poi ...

[b]2005-2006 VXL Champion[/b]
Lushcrush
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk