Does the Pro Bowl have fantasy relevancy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does the Pro Bowl have fantasy relevancy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Lung » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:39 pm

If so, I offer the following thoughts:

Manning's interceptions aside, if last season's stats and playoff performance didn't already solidify him as your number one quaterback pick next year, his 342 yards and 3 TDs yesterday should have. The only exception might be leagues that value rushing touchdowns over passing touchdowns, and even then, considering Manning's passing yardage and few interceptions, I would still have to go with him over Culpepper, McNair, McNabb, Vick, etc.

Bulger's performance should end the QB controversy in St. Louis. 152 yards and 4 TD in the second half alone is nothing to sneeze at.

Air McNair and Culpepper weren't in the game very long to really comment on, with the exception of Steve's TD bomb to Chad Johnson, WOW! Trent green was efficient, and Hasselbeck looked ugly, although it doesn't affect my ranking of him next year as a top 10 QB.

Similarly, you'd be a fool to drop Priest in your rankings based on his pedestrian performance yesterday. He didn't see very much action, and besides, the man still scored 27 TDs last year! Clinton Portis looked great, and based on the run defenses of 2003, Portis has the easiest strength of schedule against the run next year. Assuming his contract negotiations work out, make sure he is one of your top 5 picks.

Jamal Lewis was as good as expected, and Steven Davis and Ahman Green didn't see very much playing time. Shaun Alexander climbed up a few notches in my ranking with his 3 TD performance yesterday. I saw a stat at the end of the regular season that Alexander is the most utilized player in the red zone in the NFL. He's a top 5 running back and top 10 overall pick next year, imo.

On to the wide receivers. There's not really anything more you can say about Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Derrick Mason, and Chad Johnson. Along with Randy Moss, they are the best five wide receivers in the game, and they showed why in the Pro Bowl. Hines Ward and Laverneous Coles put in worthy performances that maintain them as top 10 receivers. Anquan Boldin didn't catch a single pass, but I'll write it off as first Pro Bowl jitters. Even though Keenan McCardell caught a short TD pass, I thought he looked out of his league.

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Tony Gonzalez is the number one TE in the league. Todd Heap looked really awful in comparison. Alge Crumpler caught a big TD pass, and with Vick back, you've got to rank him in your top 5 TEs. Bubba Franks could be such a better fantasy player if he didn't have to share the ouput with so many other players in Green Bay.

Both kickers looked shaky yesterday, missing two FGs each. But if you have to take a kicker in next year's drafts, Vandy and Wilkins are still your first picks.

Though defense was almost non-existent yesterday, Ray Lewis was, as usual, the dominant defensive force on his side. Lavar Arrington and Corey Chavous had the most tackles on the NFC side. KGB was a suitable replacement for Simeon Rice, with 2 sacks, 6 tackles and a FF, and Dre Bly cemented his status as one of the top cornerbacks in the league with 5 tackles, a forced fumble, and a 32-yard interception return for a TD. He certainly redeemed himself from the deep touchdown pass Chad Johnson burned him for.

Finally, how about Ed Reed on special teams blocking that kick and having the whereabouts to locate the loose ball and run it in!
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:09 pm

The Pro Bowl is nice, but doesn't exactly translate to regular season performance. Most of the players don't take it seriously, and football is the ultimate team game......a couple weeks of practice doesn't make a team.

However, my advice, if someone performed poorly, I wouldn't knock them for it.....if someone performed exceptionally, I might up them a bit, but no more than one or two slots.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Shatner8 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:13 pm

There was absolutely no defense played. It wouldve been great for a fantasy game. Bulger looked very, very sharp ;-D
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KingGhidra » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:33 pm

Shatner8 wrote:There was absolutely no defense played. It wouldve been great for a fantasy game. Bulger looked very, very sharp ;-D

So did McNair. His pass to Chad Johnson was perfect. Manning's pass to Mason was spectacular also.

I wouldn't put much relevance in it. It's basically just a show off fest. Your defense is limited and guys just try to sling the ball all over.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re: Does the Pro Bowl have fantasy relevancy?

Postby CC » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:56 pm

The Lung wrote:On to the wide receivers. There's not really anything more you can say about Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison, Derrick Mason, and Chad Johnson. Along with Randy Moss, they are the best five wide receivers in the game, and they showed why in the Pro Bowl.

Derrick Mason? Over TO? Hines Ward? Steve Smith or Santana Moss? Laverneous Coles? I don't think so.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby badger526 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:02 pm

I was most impressed by Bears cornerback Jerry Azumah; he can fly.
The 2004-2005 Shook-up Can of Fury
QB Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner
RB Deuce, Rudi, Michael Pittman
WR Jimmy Smith, Randy Moss, David Terrel
TE LJ Smith
K John Hall
D Seahawks
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Lung » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:42 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:
Derrick Mason? Over TO? Hines Ward? Steve Smith or Santana Moss? Laverneous Coles? I don't think so.

Here are the top 13 receivers of 2003, in order of receiving yards. Touchdowns are listed next.

Holt, Torry (WR-StL) 1696 12
Moss, Randy (WR-Min) 1632 17
Boldin, Anquan (WR-Ari) 1377 8
Johnson, Chad (WR-Cin) 1355 10
Mason, Derrick (WR-Ten) 1303 8
Harrison, Marvin (WR-Ind) 1272 10
Coles, Laveranues (WR-Was) 1204 6
McCardell, Keenan (WR-TB) 1174 8
Ward, Hines (WR-Pit) 1163 10
Jackson, Darrell (WR-Sea) 1137 9
Smith, Steve (WR-Car) 1110 7 1
Moss, Santana (WR-NYJ) 1105 10
Owens, Terrell (WR-SF) 1102 9

Notice that Derrick Mason had 1303 yards and eight touchdowns, as compared to only 1204 yds and 6 TDs for Coles, 1163 yards and 10 TDs for Ward, 1110 yds and 8 TDs (7 receiving, 1 return TD) for Steve Smith, 1105 yds and 10 TDs for Santana Moss, and 1102 yards and 9 TDs for Owens.

Some of the other wide receivers had more touchdown catches than Derrick Mason, but Mason had more receiving yardage than all of the them. Is there a compelling reason to include one of the others over Mason in your top 5, as I have done?

I DON'T THINK SO!!!
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:49 pm

The Lung wrote:

Here are the top 13 receivers of 2003, in order of receiving yards. Touchdowns are listed next.

Notice that Derrick Mason had 1303 yards and eight touchdowns, as compared to only 1204 yds and 6 TDs for Coles, 1163 yards and 10 TDs for Ward, 1110 yds and 8 TDs (7 receiving, 1 return TD) for Steve Smith, 1105 yds and 10 TDs for Santana Moss, and 1102 yards and 9 TDs for Owens.

Some of the other wide receivers had more touchdown catches than Derrick Mason, but Mason had more receiving yardage than all of the them. Is there a compelling reason to include one of the others over Mason in your top 5, as I have done?

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Take a look again at Santana's stats. Then realize that he wasn't the starter until midway into the season and he didn't have his QB until week 11 or so. He put up almost all those stats after week 8. I rank him above Mason.

Also, just though I would point out how Moss' stats stand out so much...He had at least 5 TDs more than any of those other guys and was hardly anything behind in yards...not to mention he played half the season hurt...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:19 pm

The Lung wrote:

I DON'T THINK SO!!!

Well, of course there's a compelling reason. In fact, there's several.

First of all, I'd just like to say that TO, Santana, and Ward all had more TD's than Mason and we all know that TD's are the most important stat in fantasy football. I'd also just like to make the point of the QB differences. While Mason had a co-MVP as his QB, Santana had Vinny for most of the year, Steve Smith had Delhomme, and Ward had a struggling Maddox. Both TO and Coles' QB's were injured for several weeks during theseason.

And of course, we can't forget about Coles' injurys that hampered him the entire season. We can't forget about TO's emotional problems this season and the fact that he's been a top 3 WR for the past few years. As Zimm mentioned, don't forget that Santana was the #3 WR coming into this season. And at training camp, Muhsin Muhammed was listed ahead of Steve Smith.

I'm not saying that all of the WR's mentioned are neccesarily better than Derrick Mason but given the right circumstances, I know that most of them can put up much better fantasy numbers.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TTTBone » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:06 pm

Short Answer - NO
Long Answer - NO, We already know these guys are good, and they really can't be judged, one greater than the other, in a defensive-limited situation.
YES - if you picked NFC in the bonus Pick3 :-b
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Football Talk