Best off season acquisition - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best off season acquisition

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:06 pm

SeaWolf wrote:OK, call me crazy, but I don't think Gibbs will do that great in Washington. He's been away from the game too long. The times have changed too much for him to continue where he left off.
I feel the best so far is Dennis Green in Arizona. When was the last time the Cards had a coach that was something. He could be the one that makes them a contender, just like he was in Minnesota. I don't think he makes them Super Bowl contenders, but he will make the NFC west that much harder.

I'll call you crazy. The "been away from the game too long" theory holds no water. Vermeil was what 16, 17 years removed from the game after he left Philly...took over a below average Rams team and won the Superbowl in 3 years. Don't think the game changed from 1980 to 1997? Successful coaches don't forget how to coach.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:04 am

Azrael wrote:I'll call you crazy. The "been away from the game too long" theory holds no water. Vermeil was what 16, 17 years removed from the game after he left Philly...took over a below average Rams team and won the Superbowl in 3 years. Don't think the game changed from 1980 to 1997? Successful coaches don't forget how to coach.

OK so I forgot about Vermeil. I don't think the Redskins are playoff bound soon anyways. I just don't think hiring a coach mean instant successs. IMO the Redskins need a lot of help, and Burnell is not the answer. Thier best option is stick with Ramsey and give him a few years to develop. Look at Hasselbeck in Seattle, we signed Dilfer and everyone jumped on the Dilfer wagon. Dilfer was not the long term answer here. Gibbs best chance is to let Ramsey grow for a couple of year, while improving the rst of the team. So going back to the origonal thought, Dennis Green has a more realistic chance of getting his team to the playoffs, IMO.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:29 am

SeaWolf wrote:
Azrael wrote:I'll call you crazy. The "been away from the game too long" theory holds no water. Vermeil was what 16, 17 years removed from the game after he left Philly...took over a below average Rams team and won the Superbowl in 3 years. Don't think the game changed from 1980 to 1997? Successful coaches don't forget how to coach.

OK so I forgot about Vermeil. I don't think the Redskins are playoff bound soon anyways. I just don't think hiring a coach mean instant successs. IMO the Redskins need a lot of help, and Burnell is not the answer. Thier best option is stick with Ramsey and give him a few years to develop. Look at Hasselbeck in Seattle, we signed Dilfer and everyone jumped on the Dilfer wagon. Dilfer was not the long term answer here. Gibbs best chance is to let Ramsey grow for a couple of year, while improving the rst of the team. So going back to the origonal thought, Dennis Green has a more realistic chance of getting his team to the playoffs, IMO.

You must have forgot about Parcells too. Last year he came in and brought the Cowboys to the playoffs. ;-)
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:40 am

The best addition may be Dick Jauron and the other deffensive coaches that Mariucci has added to his staff. If Jauron can get the Lions to play solid D, and Champ Bailey follows his secondary coach to Detroit??? There could be a very quick turn around in the motor city.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby DUKE » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:02 pm

moochman wrote:The best addition may be Dick Jauron and the other deffensive coaches that Mariucci has added to his staff. If Jauron can get the Lions to play solid D, and Champ Bailey follows his secondary coach to Detroit??? There could be a very quick turn around in the motor city.

If Champ goes anywhere, he's coming to Cincy B-) (fingers crossed)
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby terpfan » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:13 pm

haha the cardinals have abetter shot at making the playoffs than the skins??? come on, that hurts seawolf! !+)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:18 pm

M_Zimm wrote:You must have forgot about Parcells too. Last year he came in and brought the Cowboys to the playoffs. ;-)

Parcells was out for what, four or five years? Gibbs has been out for over a decade correct?
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:21 pm

terpfan wrote:haha the cardinals have abetter shot at making the playoffs than the skins??? come on, that hurts seawolf! !+)

Sorry terpfan, but I got to call them like I see them. If you can give Ramsey a few years, you might just contend. Then again the way the NFl is, Detroit will win the Super Bowl in two years. :*)
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Go Vikes » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:46 am

moochman wrote:The best addition may be Dick Jauron and the other deffensive coaches that Mariucci has added to his staff. If Jauron can get the Lions to play solid D, and Champ Bailey follows his secondary coach to Detroit??? There could be a very quick turn around in the motor city.

Did TO like Steve. Could he reunite with his old coach?
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:00 pm

I think that TO and Mariucci had worked out their differences before Mariucci left and am pretty sure that TO liked Mooch better once Ericson weaved his magic. Would still be a stretch for TO to end up in Detroit. They feel they have too many weaknesses and too much money invested in the WRs as it is.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk