some predictions - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

some predictions

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:16 pm

Oh Ya I just wanted to add that the man on the duce staley bandwagon is nuts... Duce has only broken 1000 yds 3 times in 7 seasons... whereas atrain has broken it 2times in three... Not to mentiona the age difference... Id take A-Train on my team anyday over Duce Staley... McAllister thats a different story

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:01 pm

I think Foster is an extremely special back. How about that 5 or 6 yard run he made in...the NFC Championship game?? where he drug like 5 guys into the endzone. I'm not sure what his contract is like, but if he is still in Carolina in 2005, he will be the outright starter. He will start to take more and more carries away from Davis. This year he will be 2 years removed from that knee injury, which everyone knows is about how long it takes to get back to 100% from ACL injuries. Davis will be 30 this year. You could really see him wear down about 9 games through the season this past year. I believe Foster has much more upside for fantasy this year.

TO...I see him going to Baltimore. Boller will be ok. The one thing they really lacked is the go to receiver on offense...still amazing Jamal got all those yards. Baltimore's defense will be solid with those 4 sweet linebackers and Reed and McAlister anchoring the secondary.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby KingGhidra (partying) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:07 pm

Azrael wrote:This year he will be 2 years removed from that knee injury, which everyone knows is about how long it takes to get back to 100% from ACL injuries.

Just for the record, Foster had microfracture knee surgery, which is a procedure to correct cartiledge defects not torn ligaments.
Supposedly this has worse effects than an ACL injury, but Foster looked pretty good to me this season.
KingGhidra (partying)

Friendliness: %

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:52 am

not nuts. say what you want, duce has also had to do that in a rbbbc situation for most of his career, and had a few injuries.

again, nto saying thomas is bad, I think duce is better. if you watch the games, you would clearly see that duce has a more diverse skill set. Also when given the cahnce to be the sole back has produced in a big way.

He has played for better teams and been one of the main focal points of a better team. He played against stiffer competition over a fair number of those years to boot.

As for the guy who said that it is easier to produce in an rbbc by comitte in terms of ypa,. not so sure. Yea you are fresh, but you also have a much more limited oppotrtunity to produce. You ahd better do something with every touch, can take many one yard gains and still ahve decent mubers in a committee.

for the record, I am not simply bandwagoning here, not claiming that duce is the best back in the league or anything near that. But in terms of thomas, duce has done more, longer, for a better team. Thomas has zero hands whatsoever, which makes him one diensionsal, and thus in certian situations, bad. Duce can play on passing downs too, and produce, which in my mind makes him better -- this is the direction the league is going in.

A train has had some nice games over hsi career, as had duce. And duce is not that old. 28? and he doesn;t have as much mileage as you would think.

I woudl also add, that duce was a good sport about the rbbc thing, abck in the garner days, and this year. He could have probably forced the eagles hands at some point to be more of a feature back.

To claim that he has done it "only three years out of seven is a bit misleading.

his frist year, he got seven carries. the next two years, got feature back carries and feature back numbers (broke 1000 yards those years (700 yards receiving for those two years combined)

got hurtand shared carries, so jsut had over 240 carries on those two years -- so failed to break 1000 those years. but if you look at those two seasons combined, he was still a back on pace for good numbers. (2001 had 600 yards rushing, 600 receiving 13 cames, 230 total touches) 2002 broke 1000 yards again. This year produced and had

so to say that he has been up and down is a bitmsileading if you take away some injuries/team decsiions. he has always produced when given the ball, has been on pace to be a 1000 yard back every season, just some circumstances derailed him.

And in the receiving game, this isn't even an argument. It is not crazy to think that duce is better, he has shown that when given the opportunity that he si a good feature back. He has shown the reciving ability, he has shown that he can be a team player, and this year, he has shown that he has a lot of heart. Thoams lacks many of those qualities. He had more touchdowns than thomas THIS year, and duce's 1000 yard seasons are superior to thomas'. He is onyl two years older, so that is a concern but not the be all, sicne duce is only 28.

I hardly think that i am nuts. Duce has doen more and proved his abilities much more IMO than thomas. His feature back years are superieor to thomas'. He was also caught in rbbc situations that aren;t his fault, or a reflection on his ability, more of a function of the coaches outlook.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk