Raiders name Rob Ryan defensive coordinator - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Oakland Raiders

Raiders name Rob Ryan defensive coordinator

Moderator: Football Moderators

Raiders name Rob Ryan defensive coordinator

Postby WebHamster » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:00 am

Alameda, CA (Sports Network) - The Oakland Raiders Tuesday named Rob Ryan as the team's defensive coordinator.

The 41-year-old Ryan is an 18-year coaching veteran, spending the last four seasons as linebackers coach on Bill Belichick's staff at New England. His linebacker corps played a huge part in the Patriots capturing two of the past three Super Bowls.

"I have great respect for what Rob brings to the table as I've had to compete against his units twice a year for the past two years," said new head coach Norv Turner. "His linebackers always played at a high level and consistently produced big plays."

Turner spent the past two seasons as the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins. He took over the Raiders' head coaching duties on January 26.

Ryan, the son of defensive coaching genius Buddy Ryan, received his first NFL coaching experience in 1994 and 1995 as the defensive backs coach on his father's staff with the Arizona Cardinals.

In 1996, he accepted a position as the defensive coordinator at Hutchinson Community College. Ryan then served three years as defensive coordinator at Oklahoma State (1997-99), before joining the Patriots on February 18, 2000.

"It's a dream come true as I have always wanted to be a part of the Silver and Black," said Ryan. "There is a lot of talent on this football team, both with seasoned veterans and young, up-and-coming players and that excites me."
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 206)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Oakland Raiders