News from Arizona - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

News from Arizona

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:05 pm

they will probably screw it up again... !+)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Roseman » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:34 pm

Putting all you eggs in McCown's basket seems like a pretty risky move to me........

I guess the Cards are just destined to be bottom dwellers
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby TheHeat24 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:01 pm

McCown has a cannon and is very mobile, just like cheese head aka beans said they prolly have one of the top 3 safety tandems in the league and i dont see them drafting sean taylor, Larry is an opp if they had anquan and larry or trading down and snagging my main man Ro' Williams they would instantly have the best young receivers in the league... adding last years first rounder Bryant Johnson as a slot.. that has potential to be the most dynamic receiving core ever.

Hook em Horns
TheHeat24
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:20 pm

How fun would that be throwing to 2 guys who could possibly be the 2 best receivers in the league within the next 5 years. If this happens could you seriously consider McCown as a sleeper QB this year?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:58 pm

Denny's time off hasn't done his good. He needs to stop smokin whatever he's smokin, McCown is not an NFL QB, he had a miracle comeback against one of the worst Ds in the league...good for him.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby KingGhidra (partying) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:58 pm

Azrael wrote:How fun would that be throwing to 2 guys who could possibly be the 2 best receivers in the league within the next 5 years. If this happens could you seriously consider McCown as a sleeper QB this year?

I think so.

When it comes to improving your team, I always subscribe to the "fix what's worst" theory. You can't definitely say their QB is the worst. The last 4 games of the season (which he started 3), he totalled 790 yards, 5 TDs, 2 INTs (86.5 QB rating).

Of course someone might think he had an easy schedule, but the 4 games were against San Fran, Carolina, Seattle & Minnesota. Not the hardest defensive schedule imaginable, but above average.

So what's the "worst" that needs to be fixed? I think most here would agree they have a capable receiving core, RB and o-line. Arizona was 26th in total defense (19th against the run, 29th against the pass). They were also 32nd(that's last) in points allowed.

Looking further into their defensive stats, they were 30th in total sacks and 30th in passer rating allowed. Sounds to me like they need a better front 4 and better secondary. I'm no expert on the Arizona players, so I'd have to default to someone who was... DE and CB seems to be the cure to make Arizona an 8-8 competitive team, not QB. So do they have a bunch of bums on the D-line and secondary or just young guys in development? If it's the former, 2004 is a good FA year for DBs and DEs. If it's the latter, then maybe they could consider a top shelf QB, but I'd still give McCown a chance.

For further fantasy consideration. McCown average 28.2 rushing yards in the 5 games he took the majority of snaps. That projects to 451 rushing yards.
KingGhidra (partying)

Friendliness: %

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:05 pm

[quote=KG]Azrael wrote:
How fun would that be throwing to 2 guys who could possibly be the 2 best receivers in the league within the next 5 years. If this happens could you seriously consider McCown as a sleeper QB this year?

I think so.

When it comes to improving your team, I always subscribe to the "fix what's worst" theory. You can't definitely say their QB is the worst. The last 4 games of the season (which he started 3), he totalled 790 yards, 5 TDs, 2 INTs (86.5 QB rating).

Of course someone might think he had an easy schedule, but the 4 games were against San Fran, Carolina, Seattle & Minnesota. Not the hardest defensive schedule imaginable, but above average.

So what's the "worst" that needs to be fixed? I think most here would agree they have a capable receiving core, RB and o-line. Arizona was 26th in total defense (19th against the run, 29th against the pass). They were also 32nd(that's last) in points allowed.

Looking further into their defensive stats, they were 30th in total sacks and 30th in passer rating allowed. Sounds to me like they need a better front 4 and better secondary. I'm no expert on the Arizona players, so I'd have to default to someone who was... DE and CB seems to be the cure to make Arizona an 8-8 competitive team, not QB. So do they have a bunch of bums on the D-line and secondary or just young guys in development? If it's the former, 2004 is a good FA year for DBs and DEs. If it's the latter, then maybe they could consider a top shelf QB, but I'd still give McCown a chance.

For further fantasy consideration. McCown average 28.2 rushing yards in the 5 games he took the majority of snaps. That projects to 451 rushing yards.[/quote]
Very good point but a QB is the leader of the team. You need a strong QB. If they are going to stick with McCown they at least need to go sign a veteran backup to coach him, or at least a good QB coach.

They signed Dexter Jackson last year so they have one good safety, a starting point... :-o
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:27 pm

KingGhidra (partying) wrote:So what's the "worst" that needs to be fixed? I think most here would agree they have a capable receiving core, RB and o-line. Arizona was 26th in total defense (19th against the run, 29th against the pass). They were also 32nd(that's last) in points allowed.

Problem with that is that the only defensive player worth taking that high is Sean Taylor, and they already have two safeties, so the only real option for defense is trading down...

However, SD's already looking to do the same with a better pick, and teams could essentially use this for leverage to trade less. Not to mention they traded down last year and everyone viewed it as a terrible move..
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby KingGhidra (partying) » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:54 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
KingGhidra (partying) wrote:So what's the "worst" that needs to be fixed? I think most here would agree they have a capable receiving core, RB and o-line. Arizona was 26th in total defense (19th against the run, 29th against the pass). They were also 32nd(that's last) in points allowed.

Problem with that is that the only defensive player worth taking that high is Sean Taylor, and they already have two safeties, so the only real option for defense is trading down...

However, SD's already looking to do the same with a better pick, and teams could essentially use this for leverage to trade less. Not to mention they traded down last year and everyone viewed it as a terrible move..

Eh, who cares what people thought was a terrible move. They got Bryant Johnson (very good #2 opposite Boldin) out of it. I suppose the jury could still be out on Calvin Pace at DE. Then again, maybe he sucked. Zona got as much production out of Pace as New Orleans got out of Sullivan at the spot they traded, plus got a good WR out of it.

They could trade their pick to Buffalo (13th). Buffalo could draft Manning or Roethlisberger (they're gonna need a replacement for Bledsoe sooner not later). There's a couple of DT/DEs that are projected for that slot.
KingGhidra (partying)

Friendliness: %

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:46 am

What else would they get from Buffalo though? A 2nd rounder? Seems to me the difference between a 3rd and 13th pick in the first round is more valuable than a mid second-rounder...

If they traded down it would probably be to someone with two first-rounders (a la last year)...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk