Doug Williams joins Bucs' front office - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Doug Williams joins Bucs' front office

Moderator: Football Moderators

Doug Williams joins Bucs' front office

Postby WebHamster » Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:00 pm

Tampa, FL (Sports Network) - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers brought back a familiar face on Thursday, as Doug Williams accepted a front office position with the team.

Williams, who spent the past six seasons as head coach at Grambling State University, will be introduced at an afternoon press conference scheduled for 1:00 p.m. (et).

"This is certainly a great day," Williams said on the team's website. "I look at it a little differently than some people might. They may say this is a great day for the Buccaneers, but I look at it as a great day for Doug Williams to be able to come back to where he started."

Williams, a former NFL quarterback and Super Bowl MVP for the Washington Redskins, played for the Bucs from 1978-82. He helped Tampa Bay to the playoffs three times, including a loss to the Los Angeles Rams in the 1979 NFC Championship game. However, a contract dispute led Williams to sign with the Oklahoma Outlaws of the USFL and he later joined the 'Skins in 1986.

"I started my career professionally in Tampa, a place that I've never forgotten," Williams added. "Even the bad times you remember, but there were so many good times. Coming back now just puts icing on the cake for me, as far as all the good times."

Against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXII, Williams threw for 340 yards and four touchdowns in a 42-10 Redskins rout. He was the first black quarterback to ever start in a Super Bowl. A back injury later forced his retirement in 1989.

Williams became the second football coach in Grambling's school history, replacing Eddie Robinson in 1997. He departs his alma mater with a 52-18 mark.

Before joining the Tigers, Williams was a head coach at Morehouse. He also worked as a scout for the Jacksonville Jaguars.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

Pick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 208)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers