I need some serious help. Connections problems... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

I need some serious help. Connections problems...

Moderator: Football Moderators

I need some serious help. Connections problems...

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:17 pm

Alright, I've talked for a while with deft and he couldn't figure it out. Here is our problem:
I am scheduled to play frzamilan in Madden for our game this week. I couldn't connect with him or anybody else on Monday night. I tried again tonight (Tuesday) and I connected with somebody and played for a while. I also was able to connect with deft. We went to play each other for our game tonight but it wouldn't connect. Both of us could connect to anybody else but each other. We talked to deft and he helped both of us clear a port on our routers. We both did that and we still couldn't connect. All three of us are stumped. Do any of you guys have any idea what the problem could be?
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:30 pm

To add to that, when he plugged his cable into his PS directly from the modem, staying away from the router, it worked. that is how we were able to play the game.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:46 pm

It is 100% the firewall. There is a way on your router to pass your PS2 through ALL ports on your router's firewall. This is the only way to garuntee that you'll be able to play everyone on your end (you can still have probs connecting if they are behind a firewall).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:54 pm

Free Bagel wrote:It is 100% the firewall. There is a way on your router to pass your PS2 through ALL ports on your router's firewall. This is the only way to garuntee that you'll be able to play everyone on your end (you can still have probs connecting if they are behind a firewall).

How?
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby badger526 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:49 am

i know there is a way to set it up on your computer. i think under the FAQs on the EAsportsnation website they talk about it.
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:47 pm

M_Zimm wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:It is 100% the firewall. There is a way on your router to pass your PS2 through ALL ports on your router's firewall. This is the only way to garuntee that you'll be able to play everyone on your end (you can still have probs connecting if they are behind a firewall).

How?

It's different for every router, usually something called "IP Passthrough," "DMZ Host," or it could be as simple as "Firewall." You'll probably wanna call your tech support or consult your manual to find out exactly how to do it on your router. Keep in mind your modem could have a built-in firewall as well.

NOTE: Make sure you DO NOT bypass the firewall for your PC, you want to bypass it for the ps2 only.

Again, you should explain this to the tech support people, but generally, there should be an option in your router software to view the attatched devices. Turn everything hooked up to the router (PS2 and your PC's) on and they should all show up there, the PC's should have their computer names and the PS2 will be the unnamed one. It will give you the IP address of each device, set that address as static (fixed) so it doesn't change, then go into the firewall bypass section, and enter the IP for the ps2.

If the modem has a firewall and you have a router/3rd party firewall of your own, you can bypass the modem's firewall by entering the IP of the router into the IP passthrough area of the modem software. If your modem has a firewall and you don't have a router/firewall of your own, just leave it and deal with your problems because it's not worth leaving your PC open to play madden...

Keep in mind these are all general steps, because I don't know what kind of router/modem your using and probably won't be familiar with it anyhow, I can't give you the step by step (click advanced, DMZ host, etc etc), so you'll have to consult your manual/support rep for that.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:01 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
M_Zimm wrote:

How?

It's different for every router, usually something called "IP Passthrough," "DMZ Host," or it could be as simple as "Firewall." You'll probably wanna call your tech support or consult your manual to find out exactly how to do it on your router. Keep in mind your modem could have a built-in firewall as well.

NOTE: Make sure you DO NOT bypass the firewall for your PC, you want to bypass it for the ps2 only.

Again, you should explain this to the tech support people, but generally, there should be an option in your router software to view the attatched devices. Turn everything hooked up to the router (PS2 and your PC's) on and they should all show up there, the PC's should have their computer names and the PS2 will be the unnamed one. It will give you the IP address of each device, set that address as static (fixed) so it doesn't change, then go into the firewall bypass section, and enter the IP for the ps2.

If the modem has a firewall and you have a router/3rd party firewall of your own, you can bypass the modem's firewall by entering the IP of the router into the IP passthrough area of the modem software. If your modem has a firewall and you don't have a router/firewall of your own, just leave it and deal with your problems because it's not worth leaving your PC open to play madden...

Keep in mind these are all general steps, because I don't know what kind of router/modem your using and probably won't be familiar with it anyhow, I can't give you the step by step (click advanced, DMZ host, etc etc), so you'll have to consult your manual/support rep for that.

It's apparently not on my end since it worked only when he unplugged his router but I will let him know. I also don't think there is a firewall on his modem since it worked when he plugged it in direct to his PS2. I am glad it isn't on my side...I have a Dell router and the tech support sucks for Dell...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Video Games