Seahawks Are Sittin' Pretty... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Seahawks Are Sittin' Pretty...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seahawks Are Sittin' Pretty...

Postby Canacuna » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:37 am

The Seahawks were below the league's $78.7 million salary cap by $10.8 million. And that figure swells to $13.9 million once strong safety Reggie Tongue officially voids the final year of his contract.

But that is only the beginning.

Up to $9.4 million in additional wiggle room hinges on adjusting or eliminating the contracts of veteran defensive linemen Chad Eaton, John Randle and Norman Hand. None seems likely to return at his scheduled rate of pay.

Eaton has already volunteered to reduce his salary from $2.4 million to $660,000, the minimum for an eighth-year player.

Randle has yet to reveal plans for 2004. If he retires, his $4 million salary would vanish. If he returns, he would play at a reduced rate for a second consecutive season.

In theory, then, Seattle could have around $20 million of breathing room before naming left tackle Walter Jones its franchise player at a cost of $7.1 million against the cap.

Seahawks Are Sittin' Pretty
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:47 am

Disaster scenario that I'm afraid of:

The manager walks up to me thanking me for my patronage by giving me a coupon for free fries for life, however they don't have any ranch in the restaurant.

Seriously, I'm afraid that the entire DL walks away in the offseason. Look, Randle fought Moses for his jersey number and Eaton basically rebuilt his knee twice in the same calendar year.

Norman Hand turned out to be the invisible man all season long. At times he was nursing some ailment or another that kept him out of a small DL rotation, and when he was in the line, well you couldn't tell.

Basically, the author sees fit to note each of these players has means to come back at a lesser rate of pay, however, it's not like we're doing ourselves a favor by keeping them around, and in the same sense, we need to shake off dead weight like an Etch-a-sketch.

Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to do it all in the same season.

This is a two-edged sword imo.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby badger526 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:55 am

I heard that they are raising the cap to 80 mil. If that's true, it looks like they will have even more cap room.
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Homeless » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:42 am

WOW, now all they need is a receiver who can actually catch the ball and they'll be deadly :-b
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

FA signings

Postby NFLknowitall » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:28 am

If they could resign OT Walter Jones and WR Darrell Jackson that would be a start. Then draft a DT and pick one up via FA like the Giants DT Hamilton. Then add to their LB corps by grabbing FA Ian Gold from Denver. Maybe CB Mario Edward from Dallas to add depth in the secondary b/c Shawn Springs is a goner. And last but not least is draft a WR and/or get FA WR Justin McCareins or WR Eddie Berlin or WR Drew Bennett, from the Titans to boost the receiving corps. The Titans cannot afford to keep all of the them. Titans are 17.5 million over the cap.

It won't take much to get this team deep in the playoffs. They do need to learn how to win on the road. And for God's sake get those receivers to start catching passes. 8 drops against the Packers in the Playoffs cost them the game.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby fantasizing » Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:13 pm

Well there is really no excuse now for not being able to resign
DJax. Hell, they could even afford to sign TO. Imagine that, Hasselbeck passing to DJax and TO ???? Can you say number #1 fantasy QB ??
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk