Mike Williams (WR USC) likely to enter NFL draft... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Mike Williams (WR USC) likely to enter NFL draft...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mike Williams (WR USC) likely to enter NFL draft...

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:09 pm

Super phenom sophomore WR Mike Williams of USC has announced that he will likely enter the NFL draft this year. He is two months younger than Clarrett. Sorry, no link, it was just reported on ESPN News. Hopefull this isn't helping to open the floodgates...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:41 pm

Link is up...

INDIANAPOLIS -- Barring an unanticipated change of heart, Southern California wide receiver Mike Williams will become the first underclass prospect to enter the draft since the NFL was forced by the Maurice Clarett case to alter its eligibility rules.

Several sources here for the league's annual predraft combine workouts told ESPN.com that Williams, who would be regarded as one of the top receiver prospects, has decided to forego his remaining two seasons of college eligibility. He has not, however, filed the required paperwork yet with the NFL and will meet this weekend with his parents to discuss his decision.

In two college seasons, Williams has 176 catches for 2,570 yards and 30 touchdowns.

Williams, 20, is actually 2½ months younger than Clarett, who challenged the league's eligibility rules and was admitted to the draft when a U.S. District Court judge in New York ruled the NFL guidelines in violation of anti-trust laws.

The NFL is appealing that decision but, because of the ruling, the league re-opened its draft deadline and players now have until March 1 to petition for early entry into the 2004 lottery April 24-25.

Because he is not yet three years removed from his high school class graduation date, Williams would not have been eligible under the NFL's former rules. Williams said after the Clarett ruling that he had no intention of leaving the Trojans, the defending co-national champions. But several general managers and personnel directors surveyed here Friday said they were not surprised by the news that Williams would be a part of the '04 draft pool.

Since he is not yet included in the draft, team officials and coaches cannot discuss Williams and his NFL potential. On Thursday, league officials told ESPN.com that no college or high school players had yet applied for inclusion in the draft under the new guidelines.

Some team officials acknowledged they have been contacted by USC coach Pete Carroll, attempting to have them phone Williams and offer their assessments of where he might fit into this year's draft.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1740100
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:02 pm

I'll be surprised if he doesn't go early to mid 1st round.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:02 pm

He will go very high, he's almost as good a prospect as Larry Fitzgerald and probably a better prospect that Roy Williams.
This draft is loaded with receivers. It has 4 WRs that would probably be top 10 choices any other year.
(Reggie Williams, Mike Williams, Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald)
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hayesb26 » Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:35 pm

I see williams going 7th-9th at the latest now.
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:07 pm

interesting... i was wondering whether he was gonna do this. sucks for usc fans
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:23 pm

i still see USC as the preseason #1, although if matt mauck pulls out of the draft, LSU will take over that spot.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Enoch » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:59 pm

This WR class is gonna be insane!! He should be a top 10 pick.
Enoch
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Go Vikes » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:59 am

I think he will go top 10. I see the Jaguars taking a shot at him if he falls to them. Jimmy Smith can teach him and Leftwich will have a talented young reciever to throw to.
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:14 am

The entry of Williams is most beneficial to the Jags. They were looking to take a WR, and were probably worried that Roy Williams would get snagged before their pick (possibly by the Falcons). If Mike Williams is in the draft, it pretty much guarantees that they will get Roy Williams, and in a better scenario they could snag the more talented (albeit rawer) Mike Williams.
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk