Dolphins have their new QB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dolphins have their new QB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Great Gambini » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:20 pm

Gunslinger wrote:
The Great Gambini wrote:Interesting. Not a bad move I guess, he's got potential, I think he'd be better suited to learn behind a Favre or a Plummer for a few years.

He's been behind McNabb for the last couple, that should be good enough. I like Feeley, I think he'll do well and I'm sure they saved a ton of money going with him.

The problem with that statement is that McNabb is an athletetic scrambler, while Feeley's not. You can't teach someone well who's so different from you. The scenarios and games are too different, in my opinion.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:09 pm

That may be true, but the most important thing you can teach someone about playing quarterback is not how to throw a ball, or when to run, it's about reading coverages, studying film, and making quick decisions.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:11 pm

That's my point. The decision-making process for a scrambler like McNabb is different from one like Feeley, who doesn't possess that athletic ability. While McNabb might run first, Feeley would have to throw it away, etc.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mannubhai » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:14 pm

I dont understand the hurry to get A.J Feely.

Why did the dolphins pull the trigger so soon?

Is Feely better than Henson or Ramsey?

Are Dolphins gonna give a 2005 first round pick for Feely? If yes, certainly a bad move.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:38 pm

I wouldnt say the Dolphins gave up any higher than a 3rd round draft pick for Feeley otherwise they are very foolish. They can now use their 1st rounder to draft an impact WR like Michael Clayton who would be the perfect compliment to Chris Chambers.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Enoch » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:53 pm

mannubhai wrote:I dont understand the hurry to get A.J Feely.

Why did the dolphins pull the trigger so soon?

Is Feely better than Henson or Ramsey?

Are Dolphins gonna give a 2005 first round pick for Feely? If yes, certainly a bad move.

It was a good move if the price is right, I wouldn't give a 1st for him. Bet the price for Feely was low. Yes-Feely will make goood money but, he will also have a shot at starting QB sometime. Jay Fiedler is good not great & he gets hurt alot, open door for Feely.
Enoch
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deftdelivery » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:55 pm

Why are the Dolphins wasting their time dabbling with mediocre quarterbacks? One of the few weakness on this team (on paper), and they decide to poorly fill it in? I just don't get it
[url=http://www.studio-seraph.com/forums]Image[/url]
YOUR movie resource - sign up at the forums

[color=green]PS I'll find my frog[/color]
deftdelivery
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:59 pm

This is textbook dolphins.

When they need help at a key position, rather than pony up and give something up for it, they dabble around with a bunch of semi-mediocre guys and end up wasting not only years, but more picks/trades/money on the endless list of mediocre guys than they would have just getting a big name to start with.

Last time, it was RB. How many picks and cash did they waste on mediocre RB's that never panned out? Terry Kirby, Bernie Parmalee, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jim Johnson, John Avery, Lamar Smith, etc. before they finally pony'ed up for Ricky. They wasted all kinds of time, draft picks, and money on guys that never panned out before finally targetting a star. If they had just gone after the star from the start, they could be sitting pretty at 3-4 other positions right now with all those picks they wasted.

In that list alone (which is not even the full thing), that's 3 late first round draft picks. They could've traded two of those for a top pick to get a RB that was actually GOOD, and now they're at it again, only this time with QB's.

How many mediocre qb's will they mess around with before they just pony up for a good one? THey're gonna end up paying for it in the end anyhow. Ogunleye is gone, they can't afford to keep him, and they'll get a 1st rounder as compensation for him, giving them two picks. Trade up, get Manning, and you don't have to worry about a QB again for the next 12 years.

Even worse, if they're not gonna target a QB in the draft, they need a veteran that can step in NOW. They can't hold that defense together much longer, it's too expensive, so if not drafting a QB is a sign that they don't have time to develope a QB, then why go after a young, inexperience player like Feely as a FA.

Ugh, sign a seasoned veteran or draft a TOP qb for the future, quit wasting time and money and draft picks on these scrubs that will probably have 1 good season and then never amount to anything.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mikehunt » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:27 am

This is maybe what there thinking. Also don't judge for how stupid it sounds cause I realize it will. All they need need is some one who wont get hurt or stay sobber enough to hand the ball to Williams and then dolphins will be fine. If they can hand it then they can swing it out to him regardless it wil be alright. lol

that is my dumb a** comment for the month. I do total agree with the fins puplling the trigger on this. they should have wait for a better option to come through.

Mike
mikehunt
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:34 am

Free Bagel wrote:This is textbook dolphins.

When they need help at a key position, rather than pony up and give something up for it, they dabble around with a bunch of semi-mediocre guys and end up wasting not only years, but more picks/trades/money on the endless list of mediocre guys than they would have just getting a big name to start with.

I can't tell if you're talking about Miami or Philadelphia. }:-)

Feely looked good those 5 games he played in 2002. I'm sure he came with a pretty cheap price, so if he pans out it was a good decision. It would be interesting to see someone make a nice offer to Manning just to tempt him.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk