3%
LaDainian Tomlinson
78%
Deuce McAllister
3%

Total votes : 36

Portis

Postby stonecoldbev » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:48 am

Portis. LT is the Allen Iverson of the NFL in that he has a gift, natural speed. Just like Iverson will be nothing once he loses that first step, LT will rapidly become an average back when he loses the speed. He hasn't yet shown the dedication of the great players -- Rice, Payton, etc. You can only skate on pure talent alone for so long ...
Stonecoldbev
Team-Just Dominate, Baby!
League-Mixed Up Football League
stonecoldbev
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Portis

Postby Canacuna » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:58 am

stonecoldbev wrote:Portis. LT is the Allen Iverson of the NFL in that he has a gift, natural speed. Just like Iverson will be nothing once he loses that first step, LT will rapidly become an average back when he loses the speed. He hasn't yet shown the dedication of the great players -- Rice, Payton, etc. You can only skate on pure talent alone for so long ...

I'm not a big follower of the activities of the San Diego Charger players, so I'm not familiar with a bad work ethic or anything on LT2's behalf. However, I think you could say the same thing about every player in terms of becoming an average RB when they lose that first step. Players with the dedication of a Jerry Rice are hard to come by, and even if they do show that kind of dedication, most bodies just can't hold up as long as his has. I think that Clinton Portis has some good skills, but I have to wonder how each (Portis and LT2) would fair if they were traded straight up. Denver's offensive line has been known to be one of the best over the years and San Diego's as just the opposite. Also, Portis has proven to be undependable injury-wise.

That said, I'll take LT2. He's shown what he can do with a horrible team. If he can get a good offensive line around him, I think he could will have some pretty big seasons ahead of him.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Go Vikes » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:32 am

I voted Portis. He made it to the pro bowl. Who didn't. LT
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Gunslinger » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:50 am

I voted LT for obvious reasons but I wouldn't cry if I could build around LT, Portis, or Duece. They're all game breakers. Injury concerns keep Green and Lewis out of the running. 7 years is a LONG time for a RB.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Purple_Pride » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:01 am

Go Vikes wrote:I voted Portis. He made it to the pro bowl. Who didn't. LT

yeah but Orlansis Gary and Mike Anderson can have pro bowl seasons in Shanhans system. pro bwls shoud not decide your opinion.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:05 am

I'm going to post my opinion and it pretty much follows suit of all the others.

LT2 is the best back in the NFL. He is fast, strong, and smart. He runs hard, hits holes well, and is patient. Also he put up a prolific season behind one of the worst o-lines in the NFL and with no real stability at QB. Unlike all these other players LT2 has never missed an NFL game, he is never injured and is probably the most consistent back in the NFL. Also, the topper, is this staggering stat: ZERO fumbles lost this year. All in all, LT is the best back in the league, followed by Portis, then Deuce, then Ahman, then Jamal Lewis.

Oh, I didn't put Alexander on the poll because he sucks, he only runs hard inside the 5-yard line. The next two that would have made this list were Ricky Williams followed by Edgerrin James.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Go Vikes » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:06 am

I would like to have William Green on my team if he straightens his life out.
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:12 am

Go Vikes wrote:I would like to have William Green on my team if he straightens his life out.

I wouldn't, he sucks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Green?

Postby stonecoldbev » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:44 am

I agree ... Green is worthless.
Stonecoldbev
Team-Just Dominate, Baby!
League-Mixed Up Football League
stonecoldbev
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby latraffic » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:33 pm

Voted after the Portis to Washington rumors started up. ;-D In that situation, the guy should be explosive. Gives him the edge over the others.
Thank God for Football Season.
latraffic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecasterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk