Kitna/Palmer in Cinci... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kitna/Palmer in Cinci...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:35 pm

yeah, i think another year and start palmer...if ur winning dont throw ur season into questioning by starting a no-experience QB. CJ and PW owners have to be crying now...though i dont see it hurting RJ too too much ;-D
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Azrael » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:49 pm

Here's my take on it. I think they drafted Palmer, seriously feeling like he's the future franchise QB of the Bengals, considering the $11 million salary. I think Marvin wanted to ease him into the system, probably not wanting him to play at all unless he had to (like a McNabb, Vick, Culpepper situation). I think there was probably an understanding that Palmer would go into '04 as the starter unless Kitna performed all-world like. Kitna performed above expectations I think, but not to the extent that they would want to sit on their franchise QB for a second year in a row. I don't think Palmer stands anything to gain by sitting again. He's learned all he can from the bench. I don't think Cinci stands anything to gain in the long term by sitting Palmer again. If you are going to see what he's made of, now is the time with lots of young talent to work with. I mean, he's not being thrown into a David Carr situation here. If things go poorly offensively, he'll obviously be blamed. Without there being any serious or numerous injuries to the offense I don't think the blame can be placed anywhere else. I think it's the right move for the organization to make. Find out what the heck he's worth. If he's as good as he's supposed to be, he'll respond well. If he sucks, well at least they didn't wait until next year to figure that out.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Football Newbie » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:13 pm

Azrael wrote:Here's my take on it. I think they drafted Palmer, seriously feeling like he's the future franchise QB of the Bengals, considering the $11 million salary. I think Marvin wanted to ease him into the system, probably not wanting him to play at all unless he had to (like a McNabb, Vick, Culpepper situation). I think there was probably an understanding that Palmer would go into '04 as the starter unless Kitna performed all-world like. Kitna performed above expectations I think, but not to the extent that they would want to sit on their franchise QB for a second year in a row. I don't think Palmer stands anything to gain by sitting again. He's learned all he can from the bench. I don't think Cinci stands anything to gain in the long term by sitting Palmer again. If you are going to see what he's made of, now is the time with lots of young talent to work with. I mean, he's not being thrown into a David Carr situation here. If things go poorly offensively, he'll obviously be blamed. Without there being any serious or numerous injuries to the offense I don't think the blame can be placed anywhere else. I think it's the right move for the organization to make. Find out what the heck he's worth. If he's as good as he's supposed to be, he'll respond well. If he sucks, well at least they didn't wait until next year to figure that out.

excellent post my man. Totally agree. The time is now to figure out if he sucks.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Finding out

Postby stonecoldbev » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:05 am

I think he will suck. He reminds me of Rob Johnson, another So Cal pretty boy who looks like a prototype QB but can't deliver when the chips are on the table. That said, he will post decent fantasy numbers D2 the surrounding talent. Lots of ints, though ... believe that.
Stonecoldbev
Team-Just Dominate, Baby!
League-Mixed Up Football League
stonecoldbev
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby DUKE » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:21 am

Azrael wrote:Here's my take on it. I think they drafted Palmer, seriously feeling like he's the future franchise QB of the Bengals, considering the $11 million salary. I think Marvin wanted to ease him into the system, probably not wanting him to play at all unless he had to (like a McNabb, Vick, Culpepper situation). I think there was probably an understanding that Palmer would go into '04 as the starter unless Kitna performed all-world like. Kitna performed above expectations I think, but not to the extent that they would want to sit on their franchise QB for a second year in a row. I don't think Palmer stands anything to gain by sitting again. He's learned all he can from the bench. I don't think Cinci stands anything to gain in the long term by sitting Palmer again. If you are going to see what he's made of, now is the time with lots of young talent to work with. I mean, he's not being thrown into a David Carr situation here. If things go poorly offensively, he'll obviously be blamed. Without there being any serious or numerous injuries to the offense I don't think the blame can be placed anywhere else. I think it's the right move for the organization to make. Find out what the heck he's worth. If he's as good as he's supposed to be, he'll respond well. If he sucks, well at least they didn't wait until next year to figure that out.

Great post AZ ;-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Do you guys remember?

Postby NFLknowitall » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:45 pm

I know this is just preseason but do ya'll remember Carson Palmer last Preseason Game against the Lions? Seven throws, seven completions, two crowd-pleasing touchdowns. Carson Palmer couldn't have been any better in his Cincinnati debut.
The Heisman Trophy winner went 7-for-7 for 97 yards and two perfectly thrown touchdowns Saturday night, providing the big moments in a 23-10 exhibition victory over the Detroit Lions.

He has the potential to be really good. If he just learns the system. He has good WR's, good RB, good O-line. I really don't think Coach Lewis would start him unless he feels he is ready. Yes, I have Chad and Rudi Johnson on my FF team. Palmer can get it done. He is not Peyton Manning, but he will be solid as a first year starter IMO.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk