Trouble in Indy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Trouble in Indy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trouble in Indy?

Postby CC » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:29 am

With teams having to designate their transition and franchise players by Feb. 24, expect a lot of activity on that front in the coming days. Those tags will just about end any chance those players can move since there are so many restrictions tied to them. Most league insiders expect all of the top corners -- in addition to Bailey, that means Oakland's Charles Woodson and Baltimore's Chris McAlister -- to be hit with franchise tags, which will take them off the market. The Raiders weren't expected to tag Woodson, but the Raiders are now telling teams they will. Offensive tackles Orlando Pace (Rams) and Walter Jones (Seattle) will also get franchise tags, which both played under last season when they could not agree to new deals. Other players who could get tagged are 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson (franchise tag), Saints defensive end Darren Howard (transition) and Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who will count $18 million against the cap if he plays under the franchise tag. There has been some talk that the Colts are considering releasing running back Edgerrin James to save money to help make the Manning tag work if it comes to that. Some say that's just a threat the Colts are putting out to help get the Manning deal done. Their hope is that Manning and the Colts can agree on a new deal before the tag is used. Just in case, the Colts have done a nice job clearing out cap room in case Manning has to take a big chunk. It's not that the Colts don't want to pay Manning. It's just that playing in a stadium that does not generate much premium-seat revenue makes it tough to pay a signing bonus in the $20 million range.

Source: NFL.com

This is pretty big news, hopefully they are just saying this so that Manning will take less money.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Purple_Pride » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:34 am

well if this is a test to peytons character, is he willing to maybe sacrifice a few dollars to keep his stud RB or is he saying its ME ME and a little dash of ME so screw Edge as long as i get my money.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:59 am

Peyton can offer for the Colts to save dimes on the dollar, but they have to think they'll still be up a creek when Harrison's contract rolls around.

wow...the thought of EJ getting released. Makes me cringe as a fantasy owner.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Go Vikes » Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:01 pm

I've always liked Edge. I hope he doesn't get released.
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:06 pm

I have never thought peyton as selfish but i think its crazy if they are forced to do this. Edge could turn out to be the big FA RB instead of dillon now though...i half have to vote for his release so the steelers have a chance of grabbing him :-)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:22 pm

If Edge got cut, the whole FA market would be screwed. One less job available, so guys like Garner and Antowain Smith could end up without jobs. Hopefully this doesn't happen.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Sun Feb 22, 2004 2:31 pm

already an exciting offseason ;-D
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:11 pm

Amazing. Yet another RB I'd take in Washington without hesitation. If Indy cant or doesn't want to pay Edge, I'm sure Snyder will. If I were Snyder I'd be on the phone with the Indy and Denver owners every week to see if they were willing to work something out for their stud RB.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canacuna » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:01 pm

I could see Edge being cut. It's highly unlikely, IMO, but not impossible. If that's what it takes to keep Peyton Manning, I'm sure they will do so.

Domanic Rhodes showed he could do well before and Ricky Williams 2 was decent enough.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Roseman » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:12 am

releaseing Edge would really shake things up in the league and where ever he ends up could really change Edges value. It could also effect Mannings value as teams would step back and double cover the recivers and force Indy to beat them with the run.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Next

Return to Football Talk