Hey Seahawk fans, any truth to the Alexander trade rumor? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Hey Seahawk fans, any truth to the Alexander trade rumor?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby awwchrist » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:16 pm

here's an article from the Seahawk beat writer for the Tacoma Trib:
http://www.tribnet.com/sports/story/4771576p-4715678c.html

Anywho..

I don't know what to think.

The notion of Shaun not being a seahawk seems foreign to me. Sando (the Trib columnist) paints Shaun as a forgotten son, he's genuinely not. Outside of Hasselbeck, I can't think of another player (maybe Chad Brown) that you want to see in uniform on gameday. I think I speak for a lot of fans.

Bailey would replace Ken lucas who's been very adept in coverage and generally considered a great value for our 2nd rd selection in 2001. Relegating him to our Nickle/Dime packages seems rather like a waste....but this is Champ Bailey we're talking about.

Morris has turned a lot of heads with his quality substitutions. He's got fantastic breakaway speed, has shown he can catch out of the backfield, and in some circles (mostly U of O fans) is recognized a better football player than Onterrio Smith.

To entertain the notion that this trade will happen is to assume that Seattle and Shaun will otherwise part ways after 2004. I just don't see the any animosity for that to come to fruition.

And besides all that, we've become more desperate at DL than in the past 2 seasons (which frankly is unimaginable). I just can't see any effort (i.e. cap space) being put into another position.

Unless Seattle's subscribing to the method of overcompensating one position to feign the deficency of another, I just don't get it.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:45 pm

I definitely would not support Seattle in trading my boy Shaun.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Arlo » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:57 pm

Interesting ... that would certainly shake things up. Nice match for the Skins, but I'm not sure I see Seattle's side yet, walk year or not. :-?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:03 pm

Wow. I'd rather they trade Champ for Portis (if Denver won't pay him Snyder WILL) or LT if they are getting a top tier RB, but this could HUGE. That would open the door to us drafting Chris Gamble with the #5 overall pick, then we can address the d-line through FA and later draft picks. Doubt it will happen though.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:29 pm

KingGhidra wrote:Wow. I'd rather they trade Champ for Portis (if Denver won't pay him Snyder WILL) or LT if they are getting a top tier RB, but this could HUGE. That would open the door to us drafting Chris Gamble with the #5 overall pick, then we can address the d-line through FA and later draft picks. Doubt it will happen though.

Call me crazy, but what's so special about Chris Gamble? He seems all hype to me.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:56 pm

Chris Gamble is the elite corner prospect in this year's draft. He's big, tough, fast, and smart. He has great endurance (he played 3 ways at Ohio St.) and has the potential to develop into one of the leagues top shutdown corners. Pair him with Fred Smoot and you haven't lost all that much from Smoot and Champ. I do think that (contrary to my mock) however, the Redskins will take Udeze or Tommie Harris in the draft. I've heard rumor of them signing Ted Washington, so Udeze is more likely. Udeze fixes the problem of a decrepit d-line, and Fred Smoot is a pretty good corner in his own right.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:19 pm

There always seem to be some stupid rumor that Shaun Alexander is on the trading block and that Holmgren is unhappy with him, favoring Maurice Morris.

I'm sure Holmgren is somewhat unhappy to see Shaun waiting for holes to open on the offensive line (either getting hit behind the line and losing two yards, or going for a gain of five if a hole opens) rather than just lowering his shoulder and bursting through, but not to such an extent that he would trade him - especially for a defensive back. He's proven he can handle the workload and is an excellent goal line runner.

Seattle's secondary is good enough right now. If they were to make a deal giving up one of their better players, it would make more sense for them to go after a defensive lineman.

And just for kicks, who didn't see this coming?

Go Vikes wrote:I like Maurice morris. He was the starter in fron of SOD at Oregon. He has to have a lot of talent. I wouldn't mind seeing that happen.

;-)

I've had the opportunity to watch Maurice Morris when he came by Washington State and during the Seahawks training camp in Cheney. He's definitely good, but I'd be hesitant to hand off to him 25 times a game.
Last edited by Canacuna on Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Canacuna » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:45 pm

For those interested, here's the links to the trade rumors involving Champ Bailey, Shaun Alexander, and Clinton Portis...

Bailey for Alexander

Bailey for Portis

Both articles sound like speculation from sports writers who had nothing better to write about...

...The Portis one makes a little sense I guess, especially if Denver's ownership decides they don't want to pay him when his contract is up (or this offseason) and Denver's secondary collapse to Indianapolis.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby NittanyLions » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:22 pm

oh man i REALLY hope that portis one doesnt happen

the redskin's line cant do anything...what a waste of a stud...that would decrease his nimbers
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jkirchgatter » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:36 pm

I would love to see Champ Bailey on the corner for Seattle. RB's are an easy fill compared to shutdown corners.
I think they would look to affordably fill in with Cory Dillon. He would look good in a Seahawk uni for a few years before giving way to Maurice Morris.
It would be a huge move to step up the Seahawk Defense.
However after trading Ahman Green(RB) for Fred Vinson(CB) and seeing how well that worked, they might be leary.
Great food for thought.
jkirchgatter

Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk