Anthony Thomas - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anthony Thomas

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anthony Thomas

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:51 pm

What do you think? Is he the starter next year in Chicago, or do the Bears go after Dillon, Staley, Antowain Smith, or Charlie Garner? I have read reports that go both ways.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shatner8 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:59 pm

Hmm, i think the guy has a ton of talent, and given the carries could be a great back. Lovie Smith wants to run a west-coast offense in Chicago and i dont see Thomas doing well in that kind of offense, hes more of a grind-it-out back. I wouldnt be surprised to see them bring in someone like Staley or Garner.......Not Smith though
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Canacuna » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:23 pm

I've been reading the same thing. Lovie Smith wants to use the RB more in the passing game and that definitely doesn't work to A-Train's strengths. That type of offense would be better suited for someone like Duce Staley, Charlie Garner, etc.

...Corey Dillon and Antowain Smith don't fit that type of role, so I'd be very surprised to see them in Chicago next season.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby The Great Gambini » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:19 pm

I am from Chicago, so in the papers, on a daily basis, I get mixed reports. Some days it's The Bears need a receiving back, other days it's A-Train will get a new chance and a fresh start next year. Who knows.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Runners

Postby stonecoldbev » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:58 am

Any back can be taught to catch. That's easy. A-Train is a good runner, he just doesn't have game-breaking speed. Da Bears should stay put with him as they have too many other needs to address.
Stonecoldbev
Team-Just Dominate, Baby!
League-Mixed Up Football League
stonecoldbev
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:49 pm

it isn't "easy" that is why teams will paya premium for that type of back.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby NFLknowitall » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:21 pm

There are a ton of quality runningbacks/WR's/TE's in this years draft. With the Bears sitting at pick #14, #47 and #78 they could really get some personall for their new team.

Say at pick #14 they could get Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech 6-1, 220 A talented tailback, possesses great speed and elusiveness, but is also blessed with the size and strength to break tackles. Has 4.35/40 speed, Or get Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State 6-2, 225 A tough, big junior tailback with 4.50/40 speed. He plays like he is 5’10’’. Steven has good speed as well, but doesn’t have the second gear like the faster backs. Elusiveness enough to make defenders miss. He can run with speed or power, and he catches the ball well out of the backfield.

Or since they also need faster WR's they could get Reggie Williams, WR, Washington 6-4, 220 Big athletic receiver has been a dominant performer in the Pac-10 since day one. Reggie Williams has good speed for his size, great natural ability.

Or Kellen Winslow, TE, Miami (Fla.) 6-4, 250 Talented junior receiver has impact ability; is a tremendous receiving tight end. He has great hands and is blessed with the speed and agility of a wide receiver. He should would open up things in the middle of that Bears offense.

So many options to improve that offense.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk