Thomas Jones Update... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thomas Jones Update...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thomas Jones Update...

Postby Canacuna » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:27 pm

INDIANAPOLIS - The more the 2003 season dragged on, the more the Bucs became convinced that Thomas Jones would be their feature back in 2004.

Now, the Bucs aren't so sure.

Jones is set to become a free agent March 3, and convinced he has finally established himself a legitimate every-down back, he has made some contract demands the Bucs find unacceptable.

``For what he's done in this league, [his salary demands are] a little high,'' a source with knowledge of the situation said. ``They're a little unrealistic.''

Jones, a four-year pro who has never started more than nine games in a season or gained more than his 627 yards last season, is believed to be asking for a deal worth nearly $3 million a year.

That would make him one of 15 highest-paid running backs in the league, and the Bucs aren't sure it's wise to spend that kind of money on a back who has yet to prove he can produce for a full season.

Besides, it's not like there won't be a plethora of established running backs available through other means this offseason.

Veterans such as Charlie Garner, Duce Staley and Kevin Faulk will be available through free agency, and there is always a chance the Bucs can make a trade for disgruntled Bengals back Corey Dillon.

And it's not like there's a shortage of quality backs available in this year's draft. In fact, one draft guide even has the Bucs taking a back - Virginia Tech's Kevin Jones - with their first pick.

Jones' Demands Make Fate Unclear
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Shatner8 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:39 pm

Bring Pittman in there, thats what i Say........It would sure make my fantasy team happy :-)
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Canacuna » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:45 pm

Shatner8 wrote:Bring Pittman in there, thats what i Say........It would sure make my fantasy team happy :-)

To continue the article...

"In addition to possibly losing Jones, Michael Pittman (legal problems) and Mike Alstott (neck surgery) are question marks..."

If Pittman can avoid jail, I'd rather have him than Thomas Jones starting in Tampa. When he was used correctly, he put up some Charlie Garner-esque numbers (when he was good).
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby VHawk15 » Sun Feb 22, 2004 8:46 pm

My fantasy team would be much obliged if the Bucs re-signed Jones.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Yes!

Postby stonecoldbev » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:56 am

Mine, too, V Hawk! I'm hoping for the best ... Jones needs to be happy that he has a job and take what the Bucs are offering. He has talent and Gruden liked what he did last year, so for the sake of fantasy footballers in keeper leagues everywhere, get your head right Tom!
Stonecoldbev
Team-Just Dominate, Baby!
League-Mixed Up Football League
stonecoldbev
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby NFLknowitall » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:58 pm

I believe Pittman will be going to jail. I don't think there is any way around it for him b/c he violated probation by trying to run his wife/daughter/babysitter off the road in his hummer. He deserves to sit in jail and think about what kind of person he wants to be. lol.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby DUKE » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:10 pm

Here's hoping that they trade for Corey ;-D
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:37 pm

wow i think they should just go with someone in FA if jones is going to play this game with them...no pittman though, sorry shatner...jones didnt prove hes a solid rB yet.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Thomas Jones Update...

Postby badger526 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:37 pm

Canacuna wrote:"For what he's done in this league, [his salary demands are] a little high,'' a source with knowledge of the situation said. ``They're a little unrealistic.''

That's funny. Who is this source with knowledge of the situation? Sounds fake. Anyway, I don't understand why Jones would ask for so much money. Who does he think he is?
badger526
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Football Talk