portis to washington? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

portis to washington?

Moderator: Football Moderators

portis to washington?

Postby flock of seagulls » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:50 am

am i the only person to have read this on the internet?

if so do you think itll be good for portis, and who will denver put in his place?
flock of seagulls
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby t » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:52 am

yes; you are the only one.
t

Friendliness: %

Postby flock of seagulls » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:53 am

it was on espn.com about 7:30am today. even though they did say it was early in negotiations. the deal would be portis for champ and a pick.
flock of seagulls
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:55 am

No, you aren't the only one to have heard it. There's an Alexander/Bailey trade rumor floathing around, too. They're both bogus.

EDIT - Oops, I jumped the gun on this post.
Last edited by Gunslinger on Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby flock of seagulls » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:57 am

if they are true the NFL is looking more like most fantasy leagues every day. the big trades, free agents going to different teams and so on...
flock of seagulls
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:59 am

He's right. I doubt it happens but I did find this:

ESPN/AP wrote:DENVER -- The Denver Broncos are considering a trade that would send running back Clinton Portis to the Washington Redskins in exchange for cornerback Champ Bailey and a second-round draft pick, The Denver Post reported Monday.

The newspaper cited unnamed sources as saying the deal was nearly done.

If completed, the trade would be a blockbuster, shipping two Pro Bowlers to new teams and giving the Broncos a draft pick that could be used to chose a highly rated running back to help fill the gap left by Portis.

Portis and Bailey are both skirmishing with their teams over contracts, and Washington has given Bailey permission to talk to other franchises.

Meanwhile, Denver running back Mike Anderson requested his release Sunday after the team suggested cutting his salary, the Rocky Mountain News reported.

The Broncos want to cut Anderson's scheduled 2004 salary from $1.76 million to the veteran minimum, $535,000, plus incentives, said Anderson's agent, David Canter.

The deal would help Denver meet the NFL salary cap. Canter said the team has discussed the proposal but hasn't formally offered it.

Canter said Anderson would rather test free agency than accept a significant pay cut.

"We're willing to listen to any situation. It's not dead in the water," Canter said.

Anderson, the 2000 NFL Rookie of the Year, had five touchdowns last year, with 257 rushing yards and 53 receiving yards.

Portis, who rushed for 1,591 yards and was invited to his first Pro Bowl last season, has asked the Broncos to renegotiate the last two years of a four-year contract that paid him a $1.29 million signing bonus.

Washington has offered Bailey, a four-time Pro Bowler, deals of eight and nine years worth up to $55 million, but the talks have gone nowhere.

Washington named Bailey its franchise player, which prevents him from becoming a free agent when his contract expires next month but requires the team to offer him a one-year, $6.8 million deal.

The Detroit Lions have expressed interest in Bailey.

Officials with the Broncos and the Redskins declined to comment on a possible Portis-Bailey deal.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:00 am

flock of seagulls wrote:if they are true the NFL is looking more like most fantasy leagues every day. the big trades, free agents going to different teams and so on...

No kidding, that would be HUUUUGE! I'm not sure if I like it or not as a Portis owner, but it would certainly be interesting. :)
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

$$$

Postby stonecoldbev » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:29 am

Both players want their money, and it seems like their teams don't want to give them the money, but the potential new employers probably would. Shanahan has been looking for a stud corner forever (Dale Carter, Deltha O'Neal) and we all know he feels he can plug any RB in and let him go for 1,200-1,500 no problem. Just my thoughts ...
Stonecoldbev
Team-Just Dominate, Baby!
League-Mixed Up Football League
stonecoldbev
Water Boy
Water Boy

Re: $$$

Postby Gunslinger » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:59 am

stonecoldbev wrote:Both players want their money, and it seems like their teams don't want to give them the money, but the potential new employers probably would. Shanahan has been looking for a stud corner forever (Dale Carter, Deltha O'Neal) and we all know he feels he can plug any RB in and let him go for 1,200-1,500 no problem. Just my thoughts ...

That would sure skyrocket Q. Griffin's value.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Roseman » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:20 am

Another intresting trade rumour I wonder who it will be tomorrow McAllister and a pick for Bailey and a pick NO need help at corner too.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Next

Return to Football Talk