portis to washington? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

portis to washington?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:41 am

This is very interesting. As a Portis owner I really have mixed feelings on this. I know Gibbs will use Portis well but there is no doubt about it that Denver has one of the best lines in the league and at the end of the year Shanahan was really feeding Portis the ball like he should have from the begining. I don't think it would be a neccesarily bad trade for either team but I doubt it will happen. There is too much money involved, this isn't baseball.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:14 am

Sweet Deal ;-D I hope it happens, but i don't like giving up a 2nd round pick, maybe the 5th round.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ABC » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:45 am

Aloha:

I also have Portis and just read this morning on the denver post website that a deal is close.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,141 ... 39,00.html

Just for informational purposes the S.Alexander info:
http://www.tribnet.com/sports/football/ ... 5678c.html

Anyways,

I think that Portis fantasy football stock will still be the same even if he's traded. Gibbs knows how to use rb's and likes to play a ball controled offense.

I agree with M_Zimm about Denver having the better offensive line, but I'm sure Gibbs can mold or retool Washingtons to make it again formitable.

In a way, maybe Portis will do better in Washington because he'll have no other rb taking reps away from him, especially at the goal line. It was so frustrating when Portis would get 99 out of 100 yards on the drive only to see Mike Anderson inserted for that 1 yard td plunge.

I'm hoping that the trade does not happen, but if it does, I'm not trading Portis or worrying about his #'s. He'll still be a stud rb.

One last point. It looks like Mike Anderson is looking to be traded as well. If he is, then the Portis deal is probably just a smoke screen. Because the Bronco's can't possible think that Quentin Griffin, Reuben Droughns and Ahmaad Galloway are better then Portis and Anderson, or could they??

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/b ... 42,00.html
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:57 am

ABC wrote:then the Portis deal is probably just a smoke screen. Because the Bronco's can't possible think that Quentin Griffin, Reuben Droughns and Ahmaad Galloway are better then Portis and Anderson, or could they??

Well, in short, no.

But they may feel that the downgrade there is less than the upgrade that Champ and a 2nd round pick bring in...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ABC » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:16 am

One of those articles elluded to that if they do make the deal and send Portis to Washington, they might use a 2nd round pick on Clarett.

Now, that would make Clarett's value rocket up in some drafts thinking that if Portis can do it why not him. Since some think it's not the back the the system. I think it's a combination. I don't think you can take a junkie back and turn him into a stud.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Chopper » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:33 am

Denver's always had a certain arrogance, not altogether undeserved, that they felt they could plug just about anyone into their backfield and be successful running the ball.
I've also heard reports that Shanahan has some small, simmering reservations about Portis. He doesn't like that Portis prefers to work in the offseason with his Miami buds instead of with the team; he hates that Portis takes himself out for 2, 3, or 4 plays after a long run -- something Terrell Davis NEVER did; and he's a little ticked that Portis and his agent are making contract noise only halfway into a four year deal.
According to a Denver sportswriter on the radio today, the Broncos are also much higher on Galloway than anyone has mentioned before. Not sure he's the guy this year, but he may be expected to be the future.
“The Green Bay Packers never lost a football game. They just ran out of time.”
Vince Lombardi
Chopper
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk