If Clinton Portis becomes a Redskin, where do you rank him? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

If Clinton Portis becomes a Redskin, where do you rank him?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Buckychudd » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:42 pm

Sakrafyce wrote:Basically ya'll are saying the Denver line made Clinton and he doesn't have the ability to make plays himself? I think that's crazy. This kid special, I think he'll do well in Washington if the trade comes off.

Pay attention. Obviously we are not saying he won't make plays. Dropping to the bottom of the top 10 RBs still puts him with Edge, Fred Taylor, Ricky Williams......good company any day.

What we are saying is that his risk goes up. Olandis Gary averaged almost 100 yards a game his first year in Denver, this year he averaged 30 with Detroit.

He's better than Trung......that's for sure.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Roseman » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:53 pm

I can see IF Portis goes to washington(which I doubt will happen) I can see any difference in his value washington has a bigger, faster, and more athletic line than Denver. They were exposed due to poor coaching and a lack of contistency. [/b]
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby MMH » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:53 pm

I would rate him about the same. LaDainan Tomlinson produces just fine with a poor team around him, I dont see why Portis would be much different.
MMH
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: If Clinton Portis becomes a Redskin, where do you rank him?

Postby terpfan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:54 pm

The Lung wrote:Washington's offensive line sucks. The addition of Joe Gibbs, Joe Bugel and the rest of Gibbs' staff isn't going to do much to change that.

wow what an unbelievably wrong statement... anyway...

i think portis would do well in the gibbs system and id love to have him. i would drop him out of hte top 5, somewhere from 6-8. id be happy to get him 10th overall if he does go to washington! :-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:13 pm

terpfan wrote:
The Lung wrote:Washington's offensive line sucks. The addition of Joe Gibbs, Joe Bugel and the rest of Gibbs' staff isn't going to do much to change that.

i think portis would do well in the gibbs system and id love to have him. i would drop him out of hte top 5, somewhere from 6-8. id be happy to get him 10th overall if he does go to washington! :-D

Didn't anyone ever teach you that there are no such thing as "wrong" statements?

Why would you say that my statement was "wrong," but then not give any reasons why you feel that way?

How many times did Ramsey get sacked last year and for how many yards? Don't you think those sacks had something to do with his injuries?

Where did Washington fall in terms of rushing yardage last year? Yards per carry? Rushing touchdowns? Rushing first downs?

Was the above by-products of the Spurrier system or the shortcomings of the offensive lineman themselves? What guarantees do you have that the O-line will be any better with Gibbs, who has been out of football for how many years, at the helm?
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby NittanyLions » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:35 pm

man i have him as my only non risk RB...im screwed if this happens...i better get a handcuff...their o line sucks and he would prob match edge IF edge even stays
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:57 pm

I know everyone seems down on the 'Skins O-line, but a lot of their struggles were the result of the Spurrier system. I recall hearing one critique of the blocking scheme this past season that described it as purely amateurish (the person compared it to a high school team's blocking scheme). In one game, they had Ladell Betts blocking Simeon Rice repeatedly, for goodness sakes.

Remember Samuels is only a couple of years removed from a Pro Bowl as is Brown. Jansen's not an All-Pro, but he's a great complement on the right side. No, they're not nearly as athletic as Denver's line (which is universally regarded as one of the best in the game despite being a bit undersized), but they're not awful either. Gibbs likes to pound the ball (think 25-30 carries per game).

Does Portis's production fall off? Yes. But I still think he'll fall somewhere around 5-8, just because Gibbs likes to punch it in when in the redzone (remember, before Priest, Marshall and Emmit, 'Skins RB John Riggins held the mark for TD's in a season for about 10 years).
mikey
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:11 pm

The Lung wrote:
terpfan wrote:

Didn't anyone ever teach you that there are no such thing as "wrong" statements?

Why would you say that my statement was "wrong," but then not give any reasons why you feel that way?

How many times did Ramsey get sacked last year and for how many yards? Don't you think those sacks had something to do with his injuries?

Where did Washington fall in terms of rushing yardage last year? Yards per carry? Rushing touchdowns? Rushing first downs?

Was the above by-products of the Spurrier system or the shortcomings of the offensive lineman themselves? What guarantees do you have that the O-line will be any better with Gibbs, who has been out of football for how many years, at the helm?

Terp wasn't saying that you were incorrect, he was just saying that your statement sounded a little...vulgar.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Lung » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:21 pm

VHawk15 wrote:
Terp wasn't saying that you were incorrect, he was just saying that your statement sounded a little...vulgar.

Was it the use of the word "sucks" that was vulgar? Or that I doubted Joe Gibb's effectiveness next year?
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:27 pm

The Lung wrote:
VHawk15 wrote:

Was it the use of the word "sucks" that was vulgar? Or that I doubted Joe Gibb's effectiveness next year?

Just the whole statement all together didn't really sound right...

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk