the Dever Post - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

the Dever Post

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:25 pm

portis will be good in washington. gibbs can use his runningbacks! the line will be fine! just relax if u have portis in a keeper league... hes still a top 5 rb.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:57 pm

I'll assume Denver knows what they're doing until their starting RB doesn't run for a thousand yards. They've fooled me before by getting by with Mike Anderson, Orlandis Gary, and Clinton Portis. Maybe Quentin Griffin will produce similarly.

...I'll probably sound like an idiot as I have before when Denver has a new starting RB, but I don't think Griffin can carry the load. With Mike Anderson asking out, I'd imagine a RBBC with some cheap free agent or a draftee...

Washington still isn't going to amount to much next season, IMO. It looks like they will have their RB (as most sources claim the deal is nearly done), but I'm still curious to see what Portis can do without Denver's offensive line (they did make Orlandis Gary look good, afterall). There's still too many holes on that team and their defense has gotten just that much worse by trading away one of its best players.

I'd also look for Denver to be worse. Without Portis, possibly Shannon Sharpe and Ed McCaffrey, an aging Rod Smith and a young WR who can't seem to catch the ball in Lelie, I'd look for Plummer to revert back to his awe-inspiring interception totals.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby CC » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:07 pm

Perhaps the Broncos could take Greg Jones in the draft with Washington's second round pick. He's pretty sick and while he's no Portis, he would still be pretty damn good behind that O-Line.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Purple_Pride » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:11 pm

well i like this trade for both teams. Gibbs needs a RB and Denver needs some secondary. Mike Andersen ran for a ton of yards when he got his chance too and he's still a bronco so without Portis Im sure they Broncos will be fine. though losing their o-line coach hurts.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canacuna » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:12 pm

Canadian_Cheesehead wrote:Perhaps the Broncos could take Greg Jones in the draft with Washington's second round pick. He's pretty sick and while he's no Portis, he would still be pretty damn good behind that O-Line.

I really like Greg Jones. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Patriots take him with one of their first round picks.

He looked healthy this season at Florida State and he is a machine. He probably would have had better season, but the offensive line at FSU wasn't anything to brag about this year. He ran over Sean Taylor like he was a kicker. Has anyone seen pictures of him? He's huge.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby NFLknowitall » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:40 pm

It would be more likely that the Broncos spend their 1st round pick on a D-linemen then in the 2nd round were they now have two pick grab a RB. Here are some that would be there.

Chris Perry, RB, Michigan 6-1, 235 Is a bigger back with average speed with a 4.5/40. Is known by his teammates as a team leader on and off the field. Hasn't produced much until his Senior season at Michigan. Chris has very good hands out of the backfield. He also has good field vision. Lacks elusiveness and speed to get to the corner but does the little things like picking up the blitz and catching the ball. Had 1589 rushing yards, 17 rushing touchdowns, 42 catches, 366 receiving yards, 2 receiving touchdowns his Senior season. Finalist for the Heisman Trophy.

Mewelde Moore, RB, Tulane 6-1, 215 Versatile tailback has developed well as both a runner and receiver. Possesses good, quick feet. Has great hands and is a superior pass catcher for a running back. Lacks top end speed for a running back. He has handled the ball approximately 1,100 times during his college career.

Michael “Burner” Turner, RB Northern Illinois, 6-0 228 With Turner's power and 4.4 speed, he could be the guy that can do it all. Super Player. In 12 games, 310 carries, 1648 rushing yards, 14 rushing touchdowns /// 19 catches, 230 receiving yards, 3 receiving touchdowns. Possesses a good overall package of skills for a running back. Has great timed speed and enough size to punish defenders. Good all-purpose back that can catch the ball and return kicks.

That is just to name 3 that I really like. Also studs like Cedric Cobb, Tatum Bell and Julius Jones will be around.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:43 pm

Canacuna wrote:I really like Greg Jones. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Patriots take him with one of their first round picks.

greg jones is a monster. but i dont think NE would pick him with one of their firsts because i think they will trade them (and maybe a lower pick) to washington for the #5.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:06 pm

terpfan wrote:
Canacuna wrote:I really like Greg Jones. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Patriots take him with one of their first round picks.

greg jones is a monster. but i dont think NE would pick him with one of their firsts because i think they will trade them (and maybe a lower pick) to washington for the #5.

Who do you think they would take with that pick? Jackson or Jones?
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:17 pm

i dont really know... i had only heard they were lookin to trade up. id think #5 would be a little high for either of those rbs. maybe one of the top wrs? :-?
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:25 pm

With pick #5, you could probably get Fitz/Mike Williams. You could get Kevin Jones or Steven Jackson with around the 15th pick.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk