Seahawks Might Give Up First Rounder For... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Seahawks Might Give Up First Rounder For...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seahawks Might Give Up First Rounder For...

Postby Canacuna » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:22 pm

Adewale Ogunleye...

Seattle coach Mike Holmgren indicated his team could make a departure from its normal stance of not giving up a high draft pick for a restricted free agent, an indicator the Seahawks could go after Dolphins defensive end Adewale Ogunleye.

''Normally, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to that idea, but I think you've seen a couple of teams sign those guys in the past couple of years, and it has worked out,'' Holmgren said, referring to deals for players such as wide receiver Laveranues Coles of Washington.

The Seahawks, who are in strong need of a left defensive end, have the No. 23 overall pick in the first round. The Dolphins are expected to put the highest tender on Ogunleye, allowing them to get a first- and third-round pick in return for him if he signs with another team.

The tender for Ogunleye is going to be $1.842 million, a figure that is large enough for the Dolphins to re-sign him to a long-term deal. However, the Seahawks could make it tough for Miami to match any contract if the deal includes a large base salary and cap figure in the first year.

Seattle could do that because it's expected to have more than $20 million in salary-cap space after cutting or restructuring deals before the beginning of free agency March 3.

Seattle After Ogunleye?
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:26 pm

Then the fins should take their two picks and trade up for Manning...but nooooooooooooooo....Jay Feeley instead...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:38 pm

I was waiting for someone else to post this one..........this one baffles me, all I have to say is........

...SPEND IT WISELY.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby Canacuna » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:43 pm

I never caught many Miami games. Did Ogunleye do a lot of impressive things, or did he just work off of Jason Taylor like a lot of other former Miami players have done (and then been overpaid)?

His stats look good and Seattle definitely needs some defensive line help...
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:54 pm

I guess we chose this Miami guy over Antawn Odom, a DE we were strongly considering drafting.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby CC » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:51 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Then the fins should take their two picks and trade up for Manning...but nooooooooooooooo....Jay Feeley instead...

Its AJ Feeley, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would trade the #1 overall pick for the 20th and 23rd picks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:03 pm

My fault, sorry Jay Feeley is just the more famous of the two...

There's a rumor of the Pats sending the #21 and #32 to the Skins for the #5, so the fins one doesn't seem all that unreasonable. Hell, trade for zona's #3 or the #5 and get Sean Taylor, or whoever lasts out of Fitz/Williams, both needs on their team.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Canacuna » Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:38 pm

I remember Atlanta sent a lot to the Chargers for their number one pick a few years ago...
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CC » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:45 pm

Since this draft has two bluechip quarterbacks likely to be drafted in the first 3 picks, the asking price has to be a lot higher. To acquire the second overall pick to draft Ryan Leaf, the Chargers had to send something like 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, a third round pick, and a player or something.

On the actual topic, I've seen Ogunleye play a few times this year, and as everyone has noticed over the last little while, defensive ends opposite Jason Taylor tend to play well. Case in point: Trace Armstrong. Ogunleye is pretty good, but without Jason Taylor, I'm not sure he would have had 10 sacks, never mind 16.5 or w/e he had. He would be a decent end, but Odom or Marquise Hill could end up being better than him.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fantasizing » Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:47 pm

If Seattle plays its cards right (signing defensive free agents and DJax) with all the cap money they have, they could really be a serious contendor next year.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk