How do you feel about negative points? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you feel about negative points?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do you feel about negative points?

Postby Azrael » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:08 pm

I hate negative points. I feel teams should have to win by scoring points not by other teams losing them. Especially when charging fumbles can be controversial, QBs having to take the rap for all INTs stinks, and sometimes excessive points scored on defenses aren't even the defenses' fault. About 1/3 of the INTs thrown aren't even the QBs fault (e.g. deflections at the line or in the secondary and WRs running wrong routes). I also think it's best to take the scoring system out of it as much as possible when it comes to deciding fantasy games and getting rid of negative points helps alot.

At least most positive points awarded are the result of a player or team achieving something, while alot of negative points scored against players or teams are no fault of their own. While it sucks to lose because someone's player got a cheap score, it is 10 fold worse (and I think unfair) when you lose because the Houston Texans run back 3 INTs for touchdowns and Pittsburgh's defense is awarded negative fantasy points because the offense gave up 21 points.

In general I just think it is enough that a team's defense is awarded points for fumble recoveries, INTs, TDs, and sacks. I don't think there should also be negative points given on the other side of that.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Football Newbie » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:16 pm

if there were no negative points for ints and fumbles then the fumble and int kings (culpepper usually, green and tiki) points would not accuratly show many real world performances. While you have a point about some ints not being a QB's fault, it shows up on his stats, and thus it should show up on FF points in my book.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:26 pm

My ideal scoring when it comes to negative points is -1 for an INT or fumble. I'm not a big fan of -2's and I don't like negative points for sacks.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SeaWolf » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:43 pm

I'm all for negative points. Makes it more realistic. If Manning thows for 350 yards, 1 TD and 3 INTs, he should get a lower score.
In the league I run, we give negative points for INTs, Fumbles, missed PATs/FGs. Seams to work OK with us. As I say, to each thier own.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:52 pm

I am whole-heartidly 100% in favor of negative points.

It better portrays a person's real life skill level. If someone has a fumbling or INT problem, that diminishes their value in real life, and should do the same in fantasy.

Sure, sometimes a ball gets picked off on a bad deflection, but more often than not it's their fault. Sure that -2 points on the tipped INT may hurt because it really wasn't his fault, but it takes 3-4 of those to make up for the 1 screen pass that the QB through in which the RB broke 4 tackles and ran for an 80 yard TD. Or the slant the WR makes a great move on, and runs 60 yards for the TD. The QB gets credit for the long TD pass even though any one of us could dump the ball to the RB 4 yards away...

And so you know, most scoring systems don't count defensive touchdowns against your defense. IE if the texans return 3 INT's to the house against the Steelers, those 21 points are not counted against the Steelers. If the texans score 3 defensive TD's and win 24-20, the Steelers are credited with 3 points allowed in many scoring systems.

Most turnovers are 100% the fault of the guy that made them. There is the occasional fluke INT where it hits a WR in the chest and bounces into a DB's arms, just as there is the occasional fluke TD on a screen pass or slant or busted coverage. But the majority of the time, an INT is an INT, and a fumble is a fumble. That's why guys who generally throw alot of INT's do it from year to year, and guys who fumble alot do it from year to year. You won't see a guy with 9 fumbles one year and one the next unless he worked at it. Rather the guys that fumble alot are the same guys from year to year, which is a mighty large coincidence if those fumbles are simply flukes...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Canacuna » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:12 am

...I'm cool with negative points unless I'm the one getting them stacked against me.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Yes!

Postby stonecoldbev » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:46 am

I love negative points. Our league is -4 for ints and fumbles. Team Ds lose points if they give up huge yardage and/or points. It makes a big difference for those who try to stack their team at the offensive positions and then get away with taking the Chiefs or Rams late. It's an equalizer for those who invest high picks on good defenses. And, it does score an accurate game for a guy like Tiki who has 120 yards and a TD but fumbles away the game. Viva la negatives!
Stonecoldbev
Team-Just Dominate, Baby!
League-Mixed Up Football League
stonecoldbev
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:29 pm

I like negative points. It makes for fantasy scoring that is more indicative of real world performance. Of course if you had asked me a few years ago when I used Ty Detmer as a spot starter and he threw 7 ints, I may have been singing a different tune...
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby moochman » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:38 pm

We have to have some reality even in our fantasy lives. Negative points are reflective of mistakes and need to be accounted for as much as the points awarded for positive outcomes. I just wish I could apply negative points to my golf scores.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:35 pm

i like them to a certain extent. Neg. points on Fum and INT are ok because it shows player's performances more accurately. I don't like missed FGs for Neg. points though, nor sacks. I can live with Neg for missed PAT or 0-29 yd FGs, but beyond that no.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk