How do you feel about negative points? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you feel about negative points?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CKY_ROX » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:00 pm

i thinkt hat they are valuable and very needed for the proper showing of the preformances, i dont like missed fg or sack bt other than that its all good

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:53 pm

you definately need negative points for turnovers... missed field goals arent bad either. i dont like them for sacks, those often arent the qbs fault.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:40 pm

I'm DEFINITELY for negative points for turnovers.

I've never played in a league that deducts points for sacks, though that seems like a bad idea to me.

I don't often play in leagues where you lose points for missed fg's, but if I were making the rules you would lose at least SOME points for them. As it is being a good kicker just means you're on a team that kicks alot of FG's, at least with negative points for misses it makes the kicker's skill a little more important...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:31 pm

Wow, sounds like most people are in favor of negative points. I still detest them. If you are going to penalize for mistakes, why not penalize for incomplete passes or dropped passes too? Those are mistakes. How about penalizing a defense that commits alot of penalties? While we're trying to make the performance more reflective of reality, why not impose negatives for these mistakes as well?

Someone mentioned that they are in favor of negative points for turnovers but not sacks. What about the quarterback who is more inclined to take a sack or intentionally ground the ball than try to make a play? The guy who does the former 2 should not be penalized?

If there are no negative points in real football, why is there a need to create negative points in fantasy football?

Overall, when there are so many crucial and grave mistakes made by players during the game, I just think it is kinda arbitrary and capricious to pick out turnovers, sacks, missed field goals, etc. just because they are easily identifiable and statistically recorded.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby ABC » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:36 pm

I'm also fin favor of negative pts.

I complete agree with what Free Bagel said:
It better portrays a person's real life skill level. If someone has a fumbling or INT problem, that diminishes their value in real life, and should do the same in fantasy.

In our league it's -2 for a fumble and -1 if it's lost. int's are -2.

In my cousins league it is similar, but they go a step further. It matters the outcome of the turn-over. If a qb throws a hale mary at the end of the half just for the heck of it and it's picked in the endzone, then it's -2. But if the pick is returned for a td then it's -8. More work for their commish, but it take the real life to the different level!! ha ha ha ha!!
ABC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:21 am

Azrael wrote:If there are no negative points in real football, why is there a need to create negative points in fantasy football?

You can't tell me that a QB throwing a INt is not negative. 8-o If your QB throws an INT, and the other teams scores off your INT, is that not negative? If may not be in your score, but now the other team gets points. SO in a sense those are negative points.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby awwchrist » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:41 am

ABC wrote: More work for their commish

Your league is full of sadists.

;-)
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby springfield atoms » Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:51 pm

one rule that we have recently implemented is the 'kneel down' rule.

less mobile QBs might not have any runs and then a couple kneel downs at the end of the game.

we now allow a five yard grace for QBs before taking of negative yards for rushing (note: sacks don't count as rushing yards).

we give 2 PTs for a TD pass and 4 for a REC (total of 6) and had always counted interceptions as neg 1. this year we added points to QBs for completions, scoring distance, and yardage plateau bonuses and decided to bump ints up to neg 2.

while i agree that sometimes 'its not the qbs fault' its still an INT and you have to blame someone.
geaux atoms!
homer jay simpson
springfield football atoms
springfield atoms
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:33 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
Azrael wrote:If there are no negative points in real football, why is there a need to create negative points in fantasy football?

You can't tell me that a QB throwing a INt is not negative. 8-o If your QB throws an INT, and the other teams scores off your INT, is that not negative? If may not be in your score, but now the other team gets points. SO in a sense those are negative points.

I didn't say the act was not negative. I said there are no negative points in football. If your QB throws an INT and the defense scores, hurray, 6 points for the defense, which are awarded to the fantasy defense. Why negative points for the team with that QB? The QBs team does not get negative points in real football.

My point is there are so many bad things players do that you could assign negative points to, why just pick out turnovers and the like because they are officially kept track of statistically?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:28 am

Because they are the worst perhaps? Maybe because it's the main "negative" category used to describe the players in real life?

Not every positive stat is used either....Completions, often receptions, etc...Why? Because they're not as important. Same goes on the negative end.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk