First-time football draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

First-time football draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

First-time football draft

Postby KLee4139 » Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:46 pm

This is my first fantasy football draft after doing 3 seasons of baseball, I figured I would try out football. I would love some input and criticism.

QB - Kurt Warner

RBs - Edgerrin James, Curtis Martin

WRs- Rod Gardner, Johnny Morton, Easy Ed Mccaffrey

TE - Tony Gonzalez

K/Def - Elam/Pittsburgh

Backups - Clinton Portis, Jeremy Shockey, Kordell Stewart, JJ stokes and Jamal Lewis.
KLee4139

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:40 pm

Sweet! How many teams are in your league? Unless there are less than eight, this looks like a very solid roster.

One minor change I'd make is dropping either Shockey or Stokes and picking up Kevin McDougal, if possible. Edgerrin James is a central component in your offense, and backing him up would be a good idea.

The only possible weakness I see is at WR. Your wideouts are solid, but won't be among the league's elite. McCaffrey in particular may or may not produce good numbers this season. Obviously, you can't have stars everywhere (you have more than your share as is), but keep an eye on the wire for this year's breakout receivers. A good free agent pickup could be the final piece of this puzzle.

Great draft!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

just for the future(week 9)

Postby peacefrog4629 » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:08 am

It's not a problem right now and alot of things will change before week 9 but........ in the week 9 byes you lose Morton (KC), Gonzalez(KC), McCaffery (DEN), Portis (DEN), and Elam (DEN). IF you haven't compensated for this you will have alot of goose eggs that week and it never fails you will be going head to head with worst team in your league and still lose by 50 points. Like I said alot can happen between now and week 9 but just be aware of the byes and make changes gradually. I try to compensate for players on byes at least a couple of weeks in advance, that way if an unexpected injury(ok I know they're all unexpected injuries) comes up you're not stuck choosing which will hurt you more if you can only pick up and drop 1 player a week. Also be aware of other teams that get caught in this situation. you will definetly have the upper hand in trade negotiations or at least predict who they may drop to have a starter that week. It can be a great time to upgrade your kicker or backup QB!
peacefrog4629
Monday Morning Quarterback

Good team.

Postby trentvaughn » Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:25 am

Very nice squad. Drop Stokes and get James' backup like Arlo said. You really could trade away Shockey for someone. People seem to really dig him. Try to get another WR.

Trentvaughn
trentvaughn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk