Jamal Lewis Indicted on Federal Drug Charges? !!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jamal Lewis Indicted on Federal Drug Charges? !!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jamal Lewis Indicted on Federal Drug Charges? !!!

Postby DUKE » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:50 pm

NFL star Jamal Lewis indicted on drug conspiracy charges
Douglass High grad proclaims innocence

By BILL RANKIN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 02/25/04

Star NFL running back Jamal Lewis was indicted Wednesday afternoon by a federal grand jury in Atlanta on drug conspiracy charges.

Lewis, 24, a graduate of Douglass High School in Atlanta, is accused of conspiring to distribute cocaine from June 23, 2000, until July 19, 2000.

Lewis is innocent of all charges, his attorney said.

"Jamal Lewis denies any involvement in any criminal activity or any activity involving drugs," Atlanta lawyer Ed Garland said Wednesday.

Lewis' co-defendant, Angelo Jackson, was to appear in court for his arraignment. Lewis will surrender to authorities and appear in court at a later date, said Garland.

This past season, Lewis had the second-best single-season rushing total in league history and also set the single-game rushing mark with 295 yards against Cleveland. With his size, speed and power, Lewis is one of the NFL's premier players.

The 23-year-old Baltimore Ravens running back graduated from Douglass in 1997 and played for the University of Tennessee.

Before he arrived on campus in Knoxville, Lewis and a 17-year-old woman were charged with shoplifting from a Macy's store in Cumberland Mall. Store security officers said they observed a clerk slip a $109 polo shirt into Lewis' shopping bag without charging him.

Lewis, then 18, was sentenced to three years of probation, fined $1,000 and granted first-offender status. That sentence allows first-time offenders' criminal records to be wiped clean if they complete their probationary time without incident.

Lewis is the second Baltimore Raven to face serious charges in Atlanta. In 2000, Raven star linebacker Ray Lewis, who is not related to Jamal Lewis, was charged with two other men in the killings of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar in a Buckhead street fight after a night of partying after Super Bowl XXXIV.

During a sensational trial six months later, Ray Lewis pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice. In exchange for murder charges being dropped and a one-year probation sentence, he testified against his two co-defendants, who later were acquitted of all charges.

Jamal Lewis has turned to Garland and his partner, Don Samuel, the same two lawyers who represented Ray Lewis during the 2000 trial.

Jamal Lewis, after graduating from Douglass High, went on to play at Tennessee. He decided to forgo his senior year and was drafted fifth overall by the Baltimore Ravens.

After gaining a team-record 1,364 yards during the 2000 season as a rookie for the Super Bowl champion Ravens, he tore a knee ligament during practice in August 2001 and was lost for the season. It was the second time in four years Lewis underwent major knee surgery.

During that 2001 season, Lewis was suspended four games after violating the NFL's substance and alcohol-abuse policy. At the time, the league said Lewis would lose four game checks.

Last year was Lewis' best as a pro. He fell just 40 yards short of Eric Dickerson's rushing record of 2,105 yards in 1984. Lewis was voted the Associated Press NFL Offensive Player of the Year.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Football Newbie » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:59 pm

OH that sucks. Glad i dont have him in any leagues.
Football Newbie
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby VHawk15 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:59 pm

Very interesting...

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Sakrafyce » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:09 pm

Does this affect him though? he's rich and should get off. That's the way it normally goes anyway.
Sakrafyce
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby awwchrist » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:13 pm

LOL Welp...just another example for your kids that sports figures shouldn't be role models.

Grats Jamal Lewis. You're a punk.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:33 pm

I don't think this affects him at all. Even if he did this, it was back in 2000. It will have no effect on his play. Ray Lewis has done just find since getting out of those stabbings in Atlanta 4 years ago.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TTTBone » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:33 pm

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Glad I don't have him on my team. :-t
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby 9er Fan » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:42 pm

Azrael wrote:I don't think this affects him at all. Even if he did this, it was back in 2000. It will have no effect on his play. Ray Lewis has done just find since getting out of those stabbings in Atlanta 4 years ago.

I love how its just a given that he will be found innocent whether or not he did it. Sad, but true.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby vasco75 » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:54 pm

This is a little different that Ray Lewis and it doesn't really matter how much money he has.

Jamal is dealing with the Feds here, and since this transaction involved about 5 lbs. of coke, he's in trouble.

I'm an attorney and have an idea how the Federal system works. If convicted, he's looking at about 5 years to serve. No probation available. Even if he pleads, it'll most likely be jail time...
Thank you Patriots for the 2 Super Bowl Championships!!!

Now if we could only do something about those Red Sox...
vasco75
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby awwchrist » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:28 pm

Chester Taylor is now in my top 10.

:-°

The owner (and my best friend) of J Lewis in my Keeper league just left me a VM.

Ironically I traded him J Lewis just after his first Cleveland game last season:

"DUDE DID YOU SEE ESPN?! Jamal Lewis likes cocaine!! You ****** me again with a trade! GDAMMIT!"

hahaha
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk