The future of the NFL, or deep thoughts by Paul Tagliaboo - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The future of the NFL, or deep thoughts by Paul Tagliaboo

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:35 pm

moochman wrote:They'll never do away with the home team games,nor should they. The Lions are a ratings winner even while losing at a prolific rate. But the second game being a regional team is out dated. Note to the NFL: this isn't your daddy's fan base anymore. We want to watch the best game.

It's one thing if it's in the actual city. Yes, Detroit should get Lions games. But I live in Gainesville, not Jacksonville, not Tampa, and not Atlanta, so I don't care about the Faguars, Bucs, or Falcons...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The future of the NFL, or deep thoughts by Paul Tagliaboo

Postby Canacuna » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:10 pm

moochman wrote:• Move back starting times for Sunday afternoon games on Fox and CBS an hour to 2 and 5 p.m. ET. A similar move in playoff games has resulted in higher ratings. CBS would probably be against the plan because it would further delay "60 Minutes," the network's highly successful news program.

I wouldn't mind this. I'm on the west coast, so 10 AM on a Sunday is still a little early for me as a result of my Saturnight activities usually lasting into Sunday morning...

• Drop the AFC/NFC delineations on Sunday afternoon games. Fox and CBS would alternately choose games when the schedule is determined in April.

I don't think this will help much, but I don't really care one way or the other.

• Move back the start of the season one to two weeks, with the goal of moving some of the playoffs into the February TV ratings sweeps period.

I'd prefer they not do this, as that would only mean more of a waiting period. However, it's not that big of a deal.

• Move ABC's Monday Night Football to Thursday. That probably won't happen as MNF's ratings improved last year and NBC and CBS have traditionally had stronger counter programming on Thursday.

Bad idea.

• Add a fifth TV package of games, possibly on Thursday nights. TNT, HBO and Fox/Comcast figure to be interested in a new package that might be valued at $500 million to $800 million a year. If the NFL obtains 3% to 5% increases in the present packages, it likely would not pursue an extra TV partner."

When I had HBO, I liked their NFL coverage. I don't have it anymore though, and most people don't either. I'd prefer it not be on HBO, but if it is, I should be fine with what's already available. It'd be nice to have some extra games to watch. I don't like the idea of putting it on Thursdays, though.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk