Garner may return to Oakland - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Garner may return to Oakland

Moderator: Football Moderators

Garner may return to Oakland

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:49 pm

From fanball.com

The News
After claiming several weeks ago that he would buy out the final year of his contract and enter free agency, Oakland running back Charlie Garner is now willing to consider extending his contract with the Raiders. "He's not writing a check," agent Brian Levy told the Contra Costa Times. "But I don't think he's interested in a one-year deal. He wants to know where he's going to be for years to come."
Our View
Garner's change of heart likely had a lot to do with the fact that Charles Woodson will be back in the Silver and Black next season. Ironically, the Raiders use of their franchise tag on Woodson means they'll have less cap room to work out a deal for Garner. Given the number of backs already in Oakland (Tyrone Wheatley, Justin Fargas, Zack Crockett) and the power running game Norv Turner uses, it would be best for Garner's fantasy value if he landed a job elsewhere. The Bears are looking for more speed and pass-catching ability in their backfield, and Garner has been mentioned as a possible target

This definitely affects his value. I was expecting a moderate resurgence for him if he landed in Tampa.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:03 am

I've been pipe-dreaming of him with the Lions next year. He is the type of back that Mariucci loves and has a lot of football left.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby KingGhidra » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:50 pm

Oops nevermind. ;)

The News
After a mild change of heart following the franchise tagging of cornerback Charles Woodson, running back Charlie Garner will in fact go forward with buying out the final year of his contract and intends to explore free agency when the period begins next week. Rather than wait until being released in the summer, Garner will spend approximately $400,000 of his own money to explore his options in the spring before his options dry up. "It was clear to us they planned on keeping him (for a while)," agent Brian Levy told the Oakland Tribune. "That, coupled with the fact that Charlie was uncomfortable going into the rest of the offseason without an extension, led to the decision to void." Garner has not ruled out revisiting a contract with the Raiders.
Our View
Considering that Garner would have to vie for touches in Oakland with Tyrone Wheatley and Justin Fargas—and that he doesn't exactly fill the power back bill that new coach Norv Turner typically features—his fantasy value stands to increase with another team. His draft status next summer will of course vary depending on where he lands, so stay tuned. Remember, it was only two seasons ago that Garner amassed over 1,900 total yards.

He'd probably work out well in Detroit, but there's already 4 RBs right there. Then again.

Bryson is a FA.
Gary and Stewart won't both be on the roster. If Stewart restructures, Gary will be cut.
Pinner is the only one most likely to be in in a Lions uni in 2004.

I think Garner should reunite with Gruden in Tampa, but that might hurt Thomas Jones.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:00 am

Sounds like Wheatley's value could soar. Norv should love his style over Fargas. Looks like we have another sleeper in our midst.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Return to Football Talk