Better End of the Deal? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Better End of the Deal?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Better End of the Deal?

Postby CC » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:27 am

I was just wondering, who everybody thought got the better end of the Broncos-Redskins deal (Champ Bailey + 2nd round pick for Clinton Portis). Personally, although I think very highly of Portis, I think the Broncos got the better end of it. How about all y'all.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:48 am

I think the Skins get the better end of the deal. They had no plans to keep Bailey anyway. Now, if the Lions' luck holds true, they will draft Shawn Taylor to shore up their secondary and have an elite RB too. The Broncos get a great, but overrated IMO, CB. They will hope that Griffin can excel and that it is the system. It looks riskier for the Broncos as the RB position has more of an impact than the CB. Bailey isn't a Deion, he won't shut down one side of the passing game.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby The Great Gambini » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:05 am

Ya know, it's really hard to say at this point. I love Portis, and I think he is really something special in this league. But defense does win championships. Both teams get what they wanted here. They both shore up definite needs, and still look to be in OK shape where they lost a star.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Plindsey88 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:06 am

The 'Skins will get the greastest boost to their team... The running game was atrocious last year... Even if Portis drops off severely he's gonna bust 1100... Joe can work with that for sure... Also, Joe Bugel is gonna whip that line into shape in plenty of time for the season.... The 'Skins definitely get a HUGE improvement....

The Broncos are still in REAL good shape... Any of their remaining backs can run behind that line, and their defense gets a big boost... They won't improve as much as the 'Skins, but they weren't as bad to begin with... This move could take them to the next level....

All in all, this is a classic win-win trade.... ;-D

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:40 pm

I think it is hard to tell who it is better for. Was Portis that good (I think so) or do the Broncos just make backs outstanding? I think they have an excellent system but you've got to have some talent to do well. People point to TD, Anderson, and Gary all doing well; maybe I'm just to young but I can't remember any Bronco RBs prior to TD other than Sammy Winder and Steve Sewell. I think Shanahan might be relying too much on him and his system as to the reason why all of the past 4 RBs did so well. TD, Anderson, and Portis all have true talent that they could have done well anywhere. Gary...well, dreams do come true sometimes. I'm hoping they aren't banking on Griffin carrying the ball 25 times a game because he just doesn't have the body; however Anderson does...but he is getting old. Maybe the RB well runs dry on Denver.

On the skins side, I think someone said Bailey is a little overrated. That may be true, but a 2nd round pick is still a pretty high price to pay along with a very good cover man (hard to come by). The remedy to that could be to draft a good DB. I hope Portis is as good as I think he is. I would still be concerned about his ability to stay healthy being the feature back. He also doesn't show desire to play through his injuries. If he can take the beatings of being "the man" then it is a good deal for the Skins.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:16 pm

I think it was a fairly fair deal. The redskins were in dire need of a RB and the broncos were in need of a CB, although portis was slightly more valuable, the pick should even it out. The broncos feel they can still have a decent running game without portis. We may find by the end of this year that one team got a better deal, but as for now, it looks to be about even
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:27 pm

I think the edge goes to the Broncos on this one.

Mooch, I dunno how you can call Bailey the overrated one of the two, when all Portis did was the exact same thing the two guys before him in that system did, while I can't remember the last time Washington's system produced a corner that made the pro bowl 4 of his first 5 years...

And the Broncos get a 2nd rounder to boot. The same round that Portis was drafted in in the first place.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby terpfan » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:45 pm

well bagel... pro bowl means more than just skill, there is alot of name recogntion involved. champ bailey DID NOT play at a pro bowl level this year and i do think he is overated. im not saying he isnt an elite corner, but i do not think he can change a game the way a back like portis can. he is not a playmaker, just a very, very good cover corner. i will miss him, but if we can sign a top free agent cb, like antoine winfield, i think portis along with joe gibbs will have many skins fans forgetting about champ bailey.

that said i think it was a fair deal. the broncos got very good value for portis, that is for sure. i think washington got all they could have gotten out of bailey, who seemed unwilling to remain with the team. alot of skins fans are irked by the addition of the 2nd rounder, but i think it was necessary to land portis, and in that case it is ok by me.

and mooch id be a bit surprised if taylor slipped to #6. im praying that the skins take him at 5 or trade down. i think if they traded down whoever traded up would take him... i also think there is a good chance that san diego or new york will end up taking him. its a possibility though... if the skins trade down good luck to ya ;-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:49 pm

I'm pretty sure Champ did play at the Pro Bowl, I distinctly remember him knocking down a long bomb to Marvin Harrison and making a nice pick. If my memory is correct he had 2 picks in the game. Portis is excellent and so is Champ Bailey. I don't think either team loses in this situation, although Shanahan might look stupid if the line can't produce without Alex Gibbs. I think Champ is the best corner in the game with only Woodson and Ty Law in competition. The second round pick however, will be invaluable if the Broncos were to draft, say Greg Jones, and they wouldn't lose all that much at running back, perhaps 300 or 400 yards. However, the Redskins will probably draft a D-Lineman, and if they snag a pass rushing DE, there passing D will improve. So in this case, there is no loser.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:29 pm

Even the deal works fairly well for both teams, I'm going to go with the 'Skins here. They gain a top 3 back talent wise to an offense that is looking better everyday. On the offensive side of the ball, they're going to have Brunell, Portis, and Coles.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk