T.O. Compromise - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

T.O. Compromise

Moderator: Football Moderators

T.O. Compromise

Postby Canacuna » Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:26 pm

ESPN.com News Services wrote:League sources told Mortensen that Upshaw hopes to engineer a deal that would allow Owens to become an unrestricted free agent while providing draft-pick compensation to the San Francisco 49ers.

Under Upshaw's plan, the 49ers would get the 33rd overall pick of the April draft -- a pick that would be slotted between the first and second rounds.

Compromise Would Give 49ers a Draft Pick

...This could screw up anyone working on their rookie mock drafts...

I don't like this idea at all. Terrell Owens should be considered either a free agent or not. If his agent didn't put in the proper papers in time, it's his fault and the 49ers should have to deal with it. It's not fair to other teams to be moved down a spot in the draft order, IMO.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:08 am

They mentioned it on SportsCenter tonight. I think it's a good idea. Being flexible and fair is always a good idea. There is also precedent for this, since the same happened with Chester McGlockton several years back.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:11 am

Um, but don't the niners make out better here than if Owens had just gotten the papers in?

It was my understanding that they were due a 3rd round pick if Owens signed elsewhere, now they'd be getting essentially the 1st pick of the 2nd round?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Canadian Seahawk » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:29 am

if this is the case then Northcutt and the Browns and anyother team/FA that this happens to should happen.
Canadian Seahawk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Toronto, Centre of the Universe.,,I'd love some M&Ms please homeless

Postby dayja » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:44 am

This is a load of BS. All this will do is give all parties involved the opportunity to cop out and nobody has to accept the blame for the missed deadline. One of two things needs to happen. Either the league needs to fess up and admit to not making the deadline known to T.O. and his agent, or the later needs to be stuck holding the bag and Owens will stay a 49er. All signs point to the fault lying with the league because it just doesn't seem possible that Owens' agent would miss a deadline with so much riding on it. You don't get into the position he's in by making stupid mistakes like this. The 49ers were obviously resigned to the fact that they were losing Owens when they put the exclusive franchise tag on Peterson. I'm sure the 49ers are bucking for this consolation prize because there is no way a team would give up more than a second round pick in compensation for Owens with a draft this WR rich anyway.
dayja
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby dayja » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:46 am

Free Bagel wrote:Um, but don't the niners make out better here than if Owens had just gotten the papers in?

It was my understanding that they were due a 3rd round pick if Owens signed elsewhere, now they'd be getting essentially the 1st pick of the 2nd round?

If he bought out the rest of his contract I understood he was to become an unrestricted FA and the 9ers would get no compensation for him at all...
dayja
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:38 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Um, but don't the niners make out better here than if Owens had just gotten the papers in?

Yes ;-D ;-D

Not only that, but you could argue the 33rd overall pick is better than what they would have gotten for Owens in a trade.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KingGhidra » Tue Mar 02, 2004 5:54 pm

dayja wrote:This is a load of BS. All this will do is give all parties involved the opportunity to cop out and nobody has to accept the blame for the missed deadline. One of two things needs to happen. Either the league needs to fess up and admit to not making the deadline known to T.O. and his agent, or the later needs to be stuck holding the bag and Owens will stay a 49er. All signs point to the fault lying with the league because it just doesn't seem possible that Owens' agent would miss a deadline with so much riding on it. You don't get into the position he's in by making stupid mistakes like this. The 49ers were obviously resigned to the fact that they were losing Owens when they put the exclusive franchise tag on Peterson. I'm sure the 49ers are bucking for this consolation prize because there is no way a team would give up more than a second round pick in compensation for Owens with a draft this WR rich anyway.

Not only that, but you have to wonder about the validity of the date change, notification or not. If the wording in Owens's contract says he has until March 2nd to declare FA, he should have until March 2nd. Just because the player's union decided to change the date when FA is declared, Owens's agreed to the stipulations in his contract. I think that's why they are (rightly) going for this compromise.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:09 pm

i agree that its not anyones fault but his agent's and maybe his that they didnt turn it in so he should be a FA and tough luck. however, it also isnt completely fair that some agent forgot and not the 9ers have a problem on top of all their others. so id be happy if it happens or if it doesnt, though i dont like the whole draft pick thing...maybe if they thought of something else...
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:28 am

This "compromise" is a joke. Lets recap: The players union moves up the date, the agent doesn't respond in time and the 9ers have a WR again even though they feel that he's a FA and would be awarded such if this is pressed. Art Shell, the head of the players unoin, says lets compromise and save me, the player and his agent from looking like idiots and give the 9ers a draft pick to keep them from fussing. Problem is the league isn't going to just make up another draft pick to cover up for Shell's incompatence. I don't know how this boob keeps his job. And as for TO's agent, once the dust settles he will be fired with little fan fare. I don't know how this plays itself out, but I doubt highly that the NFL would create another draft pick.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk