T.O. Compromise - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

T.O. Compromise

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:10 am

moochman wrote:This "compromise" is a joke. Lets recap: The players union moves up the date, the agent doesn't respond in time and the 9ers have a WR again even though they feel that he's a FA and would be awarded such if this is pressed. Art Shell, the head of the players unoin, says lets compromise and save me, the player and his agent from looking like idiots and give the 9ers a draft pick to keep them from fussing. Problem is the league isn't going to just make up another draft pick to cover up for Shell's incompatence. I don't know how this boob keeps his job. And as for TO's agent, once the dust settles he will be fired with little fan fare. I don't know how this plays itself out, but I doubt highly that the NFL would create another draft pick.

You mean Gene Upshaw? They played together, but I'm pretty sure Art Shell isn't head of the player's union.

I think you're overlooking Owens's contract. It specifically says he has until March 2nd of this year to declare FA. There's a certain conflict involved when the NFLPA says you have to declare by a certain date and a contract that states otherwise. That's why I think the compromise is good. The PA is admitting they may have overlooked the impact of specific wording in players' contracts while still maintaining their authority to enforce rules.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:40 am

Yes, me bad, Upshaw it is. Can't seperate old Raider linemen. To me it seems cut and dried, if his contract stipulated that he had until 3-2 and that is binding, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He would take it to the courts and become a F/A. This looks like a CYA(cover your clear channell) to me. Upshaw, TO, and his agent screwed up and are trying to undo their error.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby NFLknowitall » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:54 am

That is just wrong. The 49ers get something when they should get nothing and Owens gets to be a FA when he shouldn't either. What a rip off.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:14 am

Yeah, I don't get the whole draft pick thing as a "compromise."

Seems to me that Owens being a FA makes Owens happy, and makes the niners happy, where the hell did this draft pick thing come from? It's completely random...

It's like if billy likes 20 dollar bills and bob likes 10 dollar bills, and bob says I'll give you two 10's for that 20. Both guys are happy, both got what they wanted, there's no reason for bob to give billy an additional 10 to "keep him happy"
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Football Talk