Kitna in San Diego? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kitna in San Diego?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kitna in San Diego?

Postby Canacuna » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:14 pm

The San Diego Union Tribune wrote:Bengals coach Marvin Lewis announced yesterday that 2003 first-round draft choice Carson Palmer will replace Kitna as the starter this coming season. The news wasn't shocking to Kitna, who knew a change would come sooner than later because of the financial investment the team has made in Palmer.

At the same time he said he believes he still can be an effective starter and would like to do it elsewhere this year, with San Diego at the top of his list.

"When I was a free agent three years ago, San Diego was the place I really wanted to be," Kitna, 31, said by phone. "But there was no interest on their part."

Since then, the Chargers have gone old and young, trotting out Doug Flutie and Drew Brees. Neither has had consistent success, and now the Chargers openly acknowledge they're in the market for a capable veteran.

Kitna Has His Eyes on Joining Chargers

That would work out nicely for San Diego (assuming they believe last season wasn't a fluke or anything). It certainly would open up some draft options for them (draft Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Williams, Robert Gallery, etc.)...

As for Cincinatti, if Palmer is the real deal, they won't need Kitna and could get something for him this way.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Go Vikes » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:21 pm

I think Kitna deserves to play somewhere after his terrific year last year if he can put up similar or better numbers
Go Vikes
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby terpfan » Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:57 pm

with kitna and garcia now available the dolphins look a little silly for acquiring feeley so early. !+)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby fantasizing » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:03 pm

Any QB is an improvement over D.Brees. Garcia or Kitna would be an IMMENSE improvement. Raises Boston and LT's stock ten fold.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Great Gambini » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:29 pm

Poor Kitna...his best year and he gets the boot. He picked a good year to succeed, though...now he is one of the premier FA QBs out there. He'll find a home.

'Twas a fun year, fellas.
The Great Gambini
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FFPlayinMoFo » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:33 pm

I want to see Kitna starting somewhere .I became a big fan of his these past 2 seasons .
He could put up some damn good numbers in the AFC West
FFPlayinMoFo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby CKY_ROX » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:35 pm

i agree that either of those dudes would be a good improvement over Brees BUT NOT FLUTIE, i would rather see flutie run his majic on the field than any other bum. i would like garcia to come to san diego as it would make a good offence there. i like his running aroudn in the pocket style and fluie could give him a couple pointers on how to scramble

I DO NOT LOVE TOM!!!!!
CKY_ROX
General Manager
General Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Canacuna » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:34 pm

CKY_ROX wrote:i agree that either of those dudes would be a good improvement over Brees BUT NOT FLUTIE, i would rather see flutie run his majic on the field than any other bum. i would like garcia to come to san diego as it would make a good offence there. i like his running aroudn in the pocket style and fluie could give him a couple pointers on how to scramble

While the offense looked better with Flutie as the QB (and he recently agreed to a paycut to stay on the team) I don't think he's someone you want to go in with as the starter these days. I think he was hugely underrated his entire career, but at this point in his career, he's nothing more than a fan favorite backup.

Jeff Garcia might be a good fit, though.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Roseman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:37 pm

Kitna is also rumoured to be intrested in San Fran. He might be a good fit in SF too he does have some experience in the west coast offense.

I would rather see him in SF that SD
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby maddog60 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:46 pm

No, I can think of QBs that would be worse than Drew Brees. Quincy Carter for one. A 1:2 TD:INT ratio practically?!! How Dallas managed a playoff birth with him at the helm astounds me, especially considering how weak many of D's he played against were.

Kitna or Garcia is a definite fix for the Chargers. They owe LT to get him someone to take the pressure off him. Maybe if they could unload Boston and his inflated salary(ego too) in a trade for a veteran QB, that would be ideal.

I still think they'd be best served taking Eli Manning with the 1st pick, though if they think Brees is their future and can find a competent veteran while he progresses, Fitzgerald would be even better.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk