Lions Make Cuts... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lions Make Cuts...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lions Make Cuts...

Postby Canacuna » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:11 pm

CBS Sportsline wrote:The Detroit Lions released running back James Stewart, defensive tackle Luther Elliss, and wide receiver Bill Schroeder on Tuesday in salary-cap moves.

Stewart replaced Barry Sanders after the superstar retired and had his best season with Detroit in 2000, when he rushed for 1,184 yards and 10 touchdowns. He missed last season with a shoulder injury.

Elliss, the Lions' first-round draft pick in 1995, was a dominant presence on the defensive front. But injuries during the last few seasons cut down on his productivity. He has 202 career tackles and 27 sacks.

Schroeder, who signed as a free agent in 2002 to fill the void left by Herman Moore and Johnnie Morton, never had much success in Detroit. In two seasons with the Lions, Schroeder caught 72 passes for 992 yards and seven touchdowns.

James Stewart won't have much, if any, fantasy value next season. I could see him coming back to the Lions for a lesser salary, but even then - he would have a fairly small role on the offense, methinks.

Bill Schroeder was good in Green Bay...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canacuna » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:13 pm

Ergh, I forgot to post the link...

Source: SportsLine.com Wire Reports
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby UtopianHopes » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:24 pm

This make me wonder if the lions are leaning into selecting a rb in the first round (which if jones or jackson would be selected by the lions, I am sure their value should rise).
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Purple_Pride » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:28 pm

man they gave up james pretty quick, he had a good year in the season before last. i guess he did make a lot of money but im surprised they couldnt work out a paycut or something. Ellis will make a good young DT for someone if he can stay healthy.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canacuna » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:48 pm

UtopianHopes wrote:This make me wonder if the lions are leaning into selecting a rb in the first round (which if jones or jackson would be selected by the lions, I am sure their value should rise).

Kevin Jones has gained a some weight and I've read the Lions aren't that high on Steven Jackson...

I'd like to see them pick up Sean Taylor if he's available and for them to go after a runningback in free agency (or in a later round of the draft - there's plenty of good ones to choose from, no great ones, IMO).
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby UtopianHopes » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:25 pm

Canacuna wrote:
Kevin Jones has gained a some weight and I've read the Lions aren't that high on Steven Jackson...

I'd like to see them pick up Sean Taylor if he's available and for them to go after a runningback in free agency (or in a later round of the draft - there's plenty of good ones to choose from, no great ones, IMO).

I am hoping for one of two scenarios to occur. Ether Lions take taylor with 1st pick and go after clarett, G. Jones, or Perry with 2nd pick or they select k. jones and go after Bob sander from Iowa with 2nd pick (he impressed alot of people running a 4.36).
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:34 am

The Lions may end up re-signing Stew for less, he still is a servicable back. Ellis has been injury prone and over rated the last 3 seasons. Schroeder was cut once the Lion's discovered that his arms are actually only 18 inches long and his lack os speed was masked by his inability to get off the line.
What bothers me about these cuts is that Robert Porchier wasn't cut. He is well past prime and has been a guesser for years now. Very easy to run on and often guesses wrong and rushes himself out of the play. Way over priced. And more disturbing news is the rumors of the Lions signing Mike McMahon to a 2-3 year contract. Why? Cut him and offer him a box of doughnuts to hang out with the team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Gunslinger » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:30 am

Weren't the Lions still pretty high on Pinner? I got the impression that they considered him their back of the future.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:35 am

They have hopes for Pinner, but I would be stunned if they start the season with him as their feature back. Too unproven. Look for a re-sign with Steward or a veteran pick-up. Hearst seems obvious with Mariucci's SF background.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby NFLknowitall » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:59 am

Rumor has it that the Lions are in talks with the Patriots about the Pat's getting the Lions #6 overall and the Lions would receive the Pats two #1's and their #3 or #4. That would change the draft alot and the Lions could still get another RB with talent plus add more depth in this deep draft.

What if they walked away with Chris Perry, Rashaun Woods, Teddy Lehman with their first three picks, not bad.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk