Lions Make Cuts... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lions Make Cuts...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Canacuna » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:02 pm

NFLknowitall wrote:Rumor has it that the Lions are in talks with the Patriots about the Pat's getting the Lions #6 overall and the Lions would receive the Pats two #1's and their #3 or #4. That would change the draft alot and the Lions could still get another RB with talent plus add more depth in this deep draft.

What if they walked away with Chris Perry, Rashaun Woods, Teddy Lehman with their first three picks, not bad.

Eww...

The Lions won't be solving any RB problems in the draft. They will likely sign a veteran to help bring Pinner along - and if they do draft a RB, I'd hope they could do better than Chris Perry (whose stock has been falling for a few months now).

I'd rather have them keep their #6 pick and go after someone who could become a stud player - like Sean Taylor, Kellen Winslow Jr., etc.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:45 pm

Here is the reasons why the Lions won't draft Winslow or Taylor. Taylor had a bad workout and their were rumors about an attitude. The Lions front office are freaking morons, more pc the Clear Channel, any hint of a rep and your stock drops. Winslow is the son of the man responsible for fining the Lions doofus Pres Millen for violating the NFL's "interview a black canidate before you hire the retread white guy" policy.
It's possible they could draft him just to put it in daddy's face, but that would take more balls than Millen has. Hopfully Mariucci will get some control and do the right thing. I would love to see them get either of those two.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:54 pm

moochman wrote:Here is the reasons why the Lions won't draft Winslow or Taylor. Taylor had a bad workout and their were rumors about an attitude. The Lions front office are freaking morons, more pc the Clear Channel, any hint of a rep and your stock drops. Winslow is the son of the man responsible for fining the Lions doofus Pres Millen for violating the NFL's "interview a black canidate before you hire the retread white guy" policy.
It's possible they could draft him just to put it in daddy's face, but that would take more balls than Millen has. Hopfully Mariucci will get some control and do the right thing. I would love to see them get either of those two.

...I was waiting for someone to bring up something negative about Taylor so that I could post this...

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:A league source tells us that, despite published reports singing the praises of Miami safety Sean Taylor in the wake of his Saturday workout at the "U"'s Pro Day, Taylor's workout "sucked."

(Litigation avoidance alert -- the following quotes are the opinions of a league insider, not statements of fact.)

Per the source, Taylor "ran slower than expected, he was out of shape, looked listless in the drills, and did everything half-assed."

It was reported that Taylor cut the session short due to a tweaked hamstring. "The 'tweaked' hamstring," said the source, "was an excuse for not being in shape.

"We are not stupid," the source added. "If you have a ham[string] pull, you are not able to do drills. He did the drills but only like an out of shape fat guy. He was sucking wind big time."

As a result, the source predicts that Taylor "is not one you can trust and I see his draft stock falling. He has had weeks to get ready for this workout and wasn't. What does that tell you?"

The source summed up his thoughts as follows: "[This is] [a]nother case of a very immature junior who thinks he is better than he is. I wouldn't touch the guy. A great talent, but what are you buying? A potential bust. He is no different than Clarett and others who think that we owe them something. We owe them nothing. These are job interviews and they are failing big time."

Source: Taylor's Workout "Sucked"

I didn't want to post that, because I've heard conflicting reports, such as this one...

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:We know, we know. We've got Miami safety Sean Taylor going too low in our mock draft.

And we might have to reshuffle the deck in light of Taylor's performance at Saturday's Pro Day work out at the "U"'s Coral Gables campus.

Taylor scaled back his workout due to a "tweaked" hamstring, but scouts were still impressed by what they saw.

"He was just fine out there,'' said Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Dave Campo. "He certainly didn't hurt himself at all with the workout. He's a very smooth athlete -- and big. He's a very impressive football player.''

Others gushed at the overall quality of the draft-eligible Hurricanes.

"Maybe five or six guys will be first-round picks,'' said Houston Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer. "They have an excellent program here. It's like a mini combine."

Source: Taylor Impresses in Limited Work
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby UtopianHopes » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:04 pm

Found it through another site wrote:ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions are headed south. They haven't packed their bags yet, but they're trying to set up the travel itinerary.

Trades involving draft picks aren't usually completed until the day of the NFL draft, but the Lions are already entertaining offers for their overall No. 6 choice.

The New England Patriots have been in contact with the Lions about acquiring Detroit's first pick for New England's two first-rounders (21st and 32nd overall) and another lower-round choice.

"The Lions have made it clear they'll listen to offers. They want to move down," said a team official of an NFC team, speaking on the condition of anonymity.

"I'm always interested in moving, but it has to make sense for both teams," said Lions president Matt Millen, adding that a lot of teams talk trade but rarely pull the trigger.

There are two motives for the Lions' desire to trade down. First, the Lions don't believe their best option is staying with the sixth overall pick and, second, the Lions want to build their team through the draft, but they have only six total picks this year. By trading down, the Lions will pick up extra choices and fill more needs.

Detroit's rebuilding strategy was the driving force behind their unwillingness to make a deal for cornerback Champ Bailey. The Washington Redskins wanted Detroit's No. 1 pick, but the Lions wanted to keep that pick as ammunition for a trade. The Lions feel they have more holes in the roster than Bailey or a single first-round pick could fill.

The problem for the Lions at the top of the draft board is that there isn't a player they desire who will be available. The Lions aren't interested in a quarterback (Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger), an offensive tackle (Robert Gallery) or a defensive tackle (Tommie Harris).

While the Lions had considered a couple of University of Miami players, safety Sean Taylor and tight end Kellen Winslow, the Lions now believe neither player is worthy of the No. 6 pick -- partly because of the financial investment they'd have to make. Safeties and tight ends are rarely chosen at the top of the draft board because of their limited roles; cornerbacks and receivers have much higher value as potential game-breakers.

The only other option for the Lions at No. 6 is a trio of wide receivers -- Roy Williams, Larry Fitzgerald and Mike Williams -- and the Lions would have no problem taking any of them. However, the draft is so deep at that position -- "I've never seen another draft like it," said Lions head coach Steve Mariucci -- that Detroit can get a capable receiver at the end of the first round or anywhere in the second or third round.

If the Lions do manage to pull off a trade with New England, or any other team, it's possible that the Lions will continue to deal and try to collect as many picks in the second and third rounds as possible.

Mariucci has a history of trading down. In 2000, when he was coach of the San Francisco 49ers, Mariucci wasn't in charge of personnel decisions, but he saw the benefits of trading and acquiring extra draft choices.

First, the 49ers sent their first-round pick (third overall) to the Washington Redskins for two first-round picks (No. 12 and No. 24) and a fourth-round choice. San Francisco then dealt the 12th overall pick to the New York Jets for the 16th overall choice and a second-rounder.

In all, San Francisco's wheeling and dealing in the first round netted Julian Peterson and Ahmed Plummer, along with two additional picks. Peterson is a Pro Bowl linebacker and Plummer will soon become rich as one of the league's best available free-agent cornerbacks. And it's possible he'll be reunited with Mariucci in Detroit.

But the 49ers weren't finished in that 2000 draft. They parlayed one of their other additional picks into two more draft choices and then, in turn, traded one of those for two more picks. Instead of having four draft choices in the top three rounds, the 49ers ended up with six -- and grabbed the two players they really wanted in the first round.

Source:Trading Down

I think this one makes more since. I can see a point in trading down.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:55 am

Why am I a Lions' fan? They would pass on potentially one of the best TEs in the league because it would cost too much money. Lions front office makes liking them nearly impossible.
As for Taylor, it seems obvious that he has been working out with Clarrett. What a dork, doesn't anyone tell these guys to keep it together? This could cost him big cash. Of course it could land him on a much better team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk