Anderson restructures contract - stays in Denver - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anderson restructures contract - stays in Denver

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anderson restructures contract - stays in Denver

Postby Gunslinger » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:36 pm

Fanball wrote:The News
Broncos fullback Mike Anderson, who requested an outright release last week, agreed to restructure his contract to help the Broncos increase their salary-cap flexibility. His change of heart likely has everything to do with the departure of running back Clinton Portis. Anderson shifted to fullback in order to allow Portis to occupy the featured-back role, but teammate Rod Smith told the Denver Post on Wednesday that Anderson would welcome a move back to tailback. In 2000, he captured the Offensive Rookie of the Year Award when he rushed for 1,500 yards and 15 touchdowns in place of an injured Terrell Davis.
Our View
With Portis nursing a shoulder injury late in the season, the Broncos turned to Anderson and rookie running back Quentin Griffin. Because Griffin rolled for 136 yards against the Colts in week 15, many believe he is the frontrunner for the job. However, at 5'7", there are questions about how well suited Griffin is for a full season of pounding. Anderson has of course shown the ability in the past, and head coach Mike Shanahan also knows a thing or two about drafting running backs. Because the Denver offensive line and scheme churns out quality fantasy backs like no other team in the league, fantasy owners must keep a close eye on the backfield in training camps this offseason.

Fantasy wise, this is turning into a mess. Now just watch Shanahan draft a rookie RB to further cloud the situation.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Sandwich » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:54 pm

The good news is that Shannahan has not been a fan of the RBBC thing. This should clear up through training camp. Whoever the starter is though, the backup is a good insurance policy.
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: Anderson restructures contract - stays in Denver

Postby The Lung » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:57 pm

Gunslinger wrote:
Fantasy wise, this is turning into a mess. Now just watch Shanahan draft a rookie RB to further cloud the situation.

How about in Chicago, where the Bears just signed TB RB Thomas Jones? Will we see a RBBC with Jones and Anthony Thomas?

Does this clear things up in Tampa Bay with "only" Pittman and Alstott toting the rock now?
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby Buckychudd » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:01 pm

Not good fantasy wise, but a great move by the Broncos......this really helps them out at RB. I had serious questions about Q-Tipps durability.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Canacuna » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:19 pm

Mike Anderson led me to a championship in my first year of fantasy football. I hope he's able to land the job.

Quintin Griffin = :-t

I could still see Shanahan bringing someone else in, though...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Cupertino_11 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:29 pm

Whoever lands the starting job in Denver would be a good #2 or #3 back. Denver's been in the top 5 in rushing for 5 of the past 7 years.....not a bad track record. Shanahan will clear up the "who's the starter" questions during training camp. He's never gone with RBBC approach and I doubt he'll start now.
Cupertino_11
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KingGhidra » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:14 pm

Cupertino_11 wrote:Whoever lands the starting job in Denver would be a good #2 or #3 back. Denver's been in the top 5 in rushing for 5 of the past 7 years.....not a bad track record. Shanahan will clear up the "who's the starter" questions during training camp. He's never gone with RBBC approach and I doubt he'll start now.

He did the first 3-4 games of 2002. If Portis hadn't proved himself on the field, they probably would've finished with a RBBC situation.

Yet another reason that it's not just the system in Denver. If it was just the system, how come Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson couldn't get the starting job in 2002? Obviously Portis is a very talented RB and will continue to excel despite the fact he isn't in the Denver "system".
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:19 pm

I agree. By the time the real drafts roll around Portis may be a consensus to drop 3 or 4 spots "because he's left the Denver system". I might actually want to draw a high draft position, only to try and trade down to grab Portis and have a better pick in the 3rd rd or something.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk