Kearse to Eagles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kearse to Eagles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kearse to Eagles

Postby terpfan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:58 pm

from espn... what a bizarre signing. did not see this coming. 8 years for $66 million. 8-o
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dayja » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:36 pm

Good luck to them, that is overpaying for a guy who's numbers have diminished over the last 2 seasons. As a Titans fan I hope for more of the same for the Eagles….
dayja
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:39 pm

8 years for $66mil makes him the highest paid Dlinemen. Risky considering he has a hard time staying on the field and hasn't really had a great year since his rookie season...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Purple_Pride » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:47 pm

that is way overpaying. he built himself a name in his rookie season and has done nothing to back it up since. this guy is making millions off the "freak" nickname. 8+ million a year is insanity
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby awwchrist » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:05 pm

lol...well I guess we all know more than the Eagles right? If it's so blatently obvious that he's lost a step and his numbers have diminished, then why would any team put up 60+ million to sign him?

This guy makes O-coordinators sweat while creating their blocking assignments. He may have had health concerns, but this is football..you can't just pick healthy players for FA spending anymore.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:11 pm

the eagles are stingy and reid is stubborn. i really doubt he did this to land "big names" like snyder does.

They hsitorically have not paid that much money to anywone really, other than donovan. I think that takes one of their weaknesses and makes them a force up front. We shall see, they paid a lot of that upfront because they could afford to. they were 25 million under the cap. Why not take a caluclated risk? I don;t see the run defesne problems next year.

unlike some other teams, the eagles aren;t even "mortgaging their future" to do it. They still are like 10 million under the cap or something. Maybe they go after jackson or trade for to, who knows? Or save the money for next year, draft a wr, and go after marvin harrison, now that indy is paying through the teeth for peyton.
Last edited by eaglesrule on Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Purple_Pride » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:11 pm

no one is saying he isnt a good palyer. no doubt he is but with the concerns on his health and that his best season was 4 years ago is a little concerning. he's a great player and would love for the vikes to get him, but as we see every year players rake in crazy contracts at the begining of the offseason as each teams keeps outbidding the others.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby dayja » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:13 pm

awwchrist wrote:lol...well I guess we all know more than the Eagles right? If it's so blatently obvious that he's lost a step and his numbers have diminished, then why would any team put up 60+ million to sign him?

This guy makes O-coordinators sweat while creating their blocking assignments. He may have had health concerns, but this is football..you can't just pick healthy players for FA spending anymore.

I agree, it's not the spending in general we were talking about, it's over-spending. The guy is great..... when he's healthy. 60+ for 8 years is stupid for a guy that has consistenly come up lame. 47.5 sacks over 5 years is great, but 36 came in the first 3 seasons. No way this warranted the contract he got.
dayja
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Eagle Eye

Postby awwchrist » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:19 pm

well now that the Eagels secondary is depleted I'm not so sure it's going to be overspending in relation to their pass rush. They're not going to be able to leave their corners out to dry like in years past and rush 8 in the box. Pressure is going to have to be created by the line and this is a man that can do it.

This made me cry:

"Other teams believed to have been involved in the Kearse Sweepstakes were Chicago and Seattle."

Ahh bridesmaids in the FA sweepstakes yet again.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Purple_Pride » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:22 pm

awwchrist wrote:This made me cry:

"Other teams believed to have been involved in the Kearse Sweepstakes were Chicago and Seattle."

Ahh bridesmaids in the FA sweepstakes yet again.

well it could be worse. atleast your owner hasnt stated that the team plans to wait until after the draft to address free agency.

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk