Kearse to Eagles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kearse to Eagles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:23 pm

lito and sheldon arent great, but theya ren;t that bad. now the eagles have a good front, they have decent corners and they have dawkins. draft a lineabcker perhaps, or sign someone and draft a wr. I think the di s in good shape now actually. especially with the benefit of jimmy johnson having the benefit of being able to use dawkins and kearse now.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Purple_Pride » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:26 pm

eaglesrule wrote:lito and sheldon arent great, but theya ren;t that bad. now the eagles have a good front, they have decent corners and they have dawkins. draft a lineabcker perhaps, or sign someone and draft a wr. I think the di s in good shape now actually. especially with the benefit of jimmy johnson having the benefit of being able to use dawkins and kearse now.

with Vincent and Taylor looking to leave via free agency, what are teh Eagles plans for CB's???
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby UtopianHopes » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:31 pm

Anyone think kearse could be the final piece of the puzzle?...I would guess that why eagles spend so much on him.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Estarr01 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:36 pm

Did teams learn anything from watching the super bowl champs build a team. Don't vest to much into one or two players. The eagles now have most of their money vested in McNabb and Kearse. They won't have a team that has talent across the field they will have a team that is dominated by a couple big names and will having glaring holes in other positions such as WR. I think this is a horrible signing and could lead to problems for the eagles in the future. I think I'm mainly discouraged because I have McNabb on my fantasy team and instead of getting him a WR they brought in Kearse.
Estarr01
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:38 pm

I think this may have something to do with the Eagles missing the pass rush that Hugh Douglas brought to the table a few years back.

Also I agree with what awwchrist said to some extent that they need a better pass rush now with their secondary being weakened.

Still, $66mil seems a bit much.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Shatner8 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:12 pm

Is this really the direction the eagles should be heading? There already a very sound defensive team, and their key concern in the offseason should be to find a great WR for Mcnabb. Im not sure how this deal helps them very much at all
Thanks to Go Jays Go for the sweet sig
Shatner8
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby NittanyLions » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:14 pm

Shatner8 wrote:Is this really the direction the eagles should be heading? There already a very sound defensive team, and their key concern in the offseason should be to find a great WR for Mcnabb. Im not sure how this deal helps them very much at all

thats what i was thinking too, but maybe they will still look for a WR, their run DEF wasnt very good last year so maybe they want to upgrade.
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TTTBone » Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:16 pm

Purple_Pride wrote:
with Vincent and Taylor looking to leave via free agency, what are the Eagles plans for CB's???

That's what I was thinking. If the Eagles don't have effective CB's, I don't know how valuable Kearse will be to them. If a opposing QB can exploit a weak secondary, the Eagles pass rush also suffers, as a pass rushing DE often doesn't get the neccesary time to get to the QB if the opposing QB doesn't have to go through a progression of reads.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby greatgretzky99 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:57 pm

well here is the deal from what I understand. sheldon brown and lito sheppard will be the starting corners with the eagles signing or drafting another.

Yea losing vincent and taylor would be huge -- BUT the eagles had to make do without them and dawkins for the better part of the season anyway. and for the most part, pass defense wasn't really the eagle's problem, it was pass rush and run defense. Not as impsing with out troy and bobby sure, but solid enough. now there is a full season (hopefully) with dawkins back there as well, and now a very good pass rush, which should actually help the two cb's.

As far as "shooting the wad" I woudl hasten to add that for the most part, the eagles have been following (or trying to follow) the model based on New England, in fact that had been basically trying that model from before new england did -- which is how they got this cap space to make a move like this in the first place.

Apparently, they still will have on the order of 14 million to spend under the cap if they choose to. So it is hardly like they overextended themsleves. The eagles as much as anywone are very leery of overpaying players -- i mean they let trotter, hugh douglas walk. Now they are poised to let emmons, duce, taylor and vincent walk. This is why, during that one draft when everyone was complaining about drafting all the db's when they had a nasty secondary, they did it I guess. Plan ahead, now they have groomed those two for this eventuality. duce walks, but now they hae buckhalter and westbrook.

If you loojk at the contract mcnabb has it is big on paper, but per season, the cap hit is not really that much considering. I think financially, the eagles organziation has earned the benefit of the doubt. I think given the financial health of the roganziation, mcnabb and kearse won't be as big of an albatross as it may seem. Trust me andy is a cheap stubborn SOB. i really don't think they would have signed this big a name for that much money unless they had a real plan.

As for wr, that is still out there. But now with the feely trade, they have an extra high pick to deal if need be. I really think they will trade for owens. I mean you could draft a wr with your first round pick, or use the extra cap sapce they STILL have and trade maybe your first to san fran this year. i mean what wr is gonna be better right now (which is what they really need anyway). or they could use their new found picks and maybe trade up to get a stud) or use the remaining room to go for jackson perhaps, then use the picks to get another linebacker and corner.

anyway you slice it, if kearse pans out, I think they made some savvy moves here, and eagles fans are increasingly imaptient with the front office. why save all that money to not spend it?
greatgretzky99

Friendliness: %

Postby greatgretzky99 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:59 pm

(iwasn't signed in, sorry)

i would also like to add that kearse had more sacks last year than the whole defensive line I believe. Forcing teams into more passing downs could help allieviate some of those prolonged rush oriented drives they had to face last year.
greatgretzky99

Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk