Kearse to Eagles - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kearse to Eagles

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:21 pm

greatgretzky99 wrote:(iwasn't signed in, sorry)

i would also like to add that kearse had more sacks last year than the whole defensive line I believe. Forcing teams into more passing downs could help allieviate some of those prolonged rush oriented drives they had to face last year.

i find that very hard to believe. kearse wasnt even in double digits.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby awwchrist » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:44 pm

i suscribe to the notion that it's damn hard to base a defensive players value on numbers (particularly sacks when you're referencing "double digits").

Why should guys like Jason Taylor reap rewards and accolades when he's benefiting from other all star playmakers on the front 7, while Kearse is deemed "losing it" and "not worthy" because defenses all but key in on him alone on the DL.

I just don't get it.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby UtopianHopes » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:53 pm

awwchrist wrote:i suscribe to the notion that it's damn hard to base a defensive players value on numbers (particularly sacks when you're referencing "double digits").

Why should guys like Jason Taylor reap rewards and accolades when he's benefiting from other all star playmakers on the front 7, while Kearse is deemed "losing it" and "not worthy" because defenses all but key in on him alone on the DL.

I just don't get it.

wow..wow..slow down with the accusations (dolphin fan here). Jason taylor the man. The one everyone question is Adewale Ogunleye. They feel he might reap the rewards of jason taylor getting doubled team. I understand where you coming from, but everyone knows he good. The real question is can he stay healthy?...I would say yes, by the size of his contract.
UtopianHopes
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby greatgretzky99 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:01 pm

my bad I was talking stupid. i had only heard that (or so I thought) what i meant to say our big gun was simon with 7.5. Kearse for all of his faults exceeded that ina n injury year. The agles d line had i think 25.5 sacks. Kearse had 9.5. So he would bring a 37 percent increase in production.
greatgretzky99

Friendliness: %

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:08 pm

I agree with what Greatzky said about CB's.

The Eagles have a pair of good, young corners in Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard, I think they've been planning for this for a while now (Lito was a 1st round pick 2 years ago).

That being said, they're still not as good as Vincent and Taylor, hence the keying on passrush.

Basically, it's like this. They like the guys they have, so they don't need a new CB. But they're not quite as good, so they'd like to upgrade the passrush to help them out.

Also, awwwchrist, I agreed with you last time but I'm gonna have to disagree this time.

Taylor gets the respect he does because he gets doubled and still puts up gaudy numbers. The Dolphins front seven minus Taylor is no better than the Titans minus Kearse. Taylor seems the same double teams Kearse does, and teams key on Taylor just as much, if not more than Kearse, yet he still puts up better numbers...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Roseman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:33 pm

Well even though it was pricy the Eagles do pick up that pass rush DE that the team need to run Johnsons defence. Now will they get their moneys worth or just a really epensive bench warmer.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby greatgretzky99 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:39 pm

I would think a skins fan would be wary of making judgments about "over priced bench warmers"

bruce smith I'm looking in your direction ...

;-)
greatgretzky99

Postby terpfan » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:43 pm

greatgretzky99 wrote:I would think a skins fan would be wary of making judgments about "over priced bench warmers"

bruce smith I'm looking in your direction ...

;-)

hey he started... sometimes :-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby greatgretzky99 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:15 pm

its all good, as an eagles fan, I like what the skins are doing. I think the nfc is back, gonna be a real power division. I hoep the skins are good, tired of the giants. I think the eagles and skins don't really have the same rivalry as eagles-giants, skins-boys. will be interesting to get it really heated.
greatgretzky99

Postby maddog60 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:37 pm

Ok, boy there's a lot of comments I want to respond to, so I'm just going to break it up by paragraph.

Concerned about the Eagle's secondary? Not I. I watched them all season, with Vincent, Dawkins, and Taylor barely playing at all. Let me tell you, if the Eagles have depth anywhere, its in the secondary. The backups stepped up all season long and proved that there were people in the organization capable of replacing Vincent and Taylor. So long as Dawkins keeps hitting people like a mac truck the secondary won't miss a step.

As for priority. I hope Reid realizes a good chunk of that left over cap has got to a WR. Drafting even Larry Fitzgerald wouldnt fix the WR problem in Philly. Thrash and Pinkston need to be cut, plain and simple. Brett Favre in his prime could not throw accurate enough to make these guys catch consistently. Darrell Jackson, even Tai Streets, would make a significant impact for certainly a reasonable price and take some of the offensive pressure off of McNabb.

As for Kearse himself. I read someone state he's been consistently lame, then provide the statistic that he had 36 sacks in 3 seasons (over half of his career). Sounds to me like he just had a pair of bad years, especially considering the games he missed during that time. I bet in another full season he'll register another dozen sacks. I would be concerned about his health, but lets face it, the Eagles got him b/c of health concerns on their defensive line. They're not going to pay top dollar for someone who isn't likely to solve their worries about another injury riddled line, so Kearse is either a vary saavy and convincing businessman, or he's reasably healthy, and prepared for a full season of terrorizing QBs. Kearse is also young too, so he may just have a 2nd wind in him, whereas in other times I've seen philly teams bring in big names past their prime: The fridge, Paul Coffey, etc.

I assume the Eagles know they have a WR problem to fix, and so I dont even worry that they'll take care of it. My major concerns would be what they plan do to at RB (Westbrook has the skills to be a featured back, but can he endure the beating?), and how they plan to fill the void left by Carlos Emmons at LB.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk