NFC East is back - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFC East is back

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFC East is back

Postby mannubhai » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:49 am

Why are the Giants so quiet with so much happening to other teams in NFC East. Redskins making big news, Eagles making good noise, Cowboys making moves.

Sleeping giants..wake up ... NFC East is back..probably the best division in NFL.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:46 am

Oh come on....wait till we actually see it in action to go declaring it the best division.

Frankly, the Redskins do this every year and everyone proclaims how good they are. I remember the year they go Deion and all those other guys people were saying they were super bowl favorites and they didn't even make the playoffs...I still think of the NFC east as Eagles+Cowboys+2 scrubs

There are far tougher divisions out there.

Off-hand:
AFC South
Titans+Colts go without saying, Jags and Texans have both been improving the last few years and this could be a great year for one of them.

AFC East
Super Bowl Champs, a team that hasn't had a losing record in 15 years (fins), a team that played very very well when their qb was in the last 2 years (jets).

NFC South
NFC Champs, a team that also played much better with its QB (Falcs), super bowl champs of 2 years ago that underachieved last year and should fill some holes this offseason, mainly at RB (Bucs), and a team back on the rise (Saints).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Roseman » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:08 am

The Giant are in a little bit of cap trouble I think so that is why they have been so quiet.

As for the best division I have to agree that the NFC east is not the toughess or the best. The AFC east looks to be strong again and the NFC south also looks to be another one that could have a 9-7 team finish last.
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:10 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Oh come on....wait till we actually see it in action to go declaring it the best division.

Frankly, the Redskins do this every year and everyone proclaims how good they are.

Actually they usually sign a bunch of overpriced, over the hill vets to shore up problem areas. This year they went with guys in the 24-28 age range: Springs, Portis, Griffin. No matter what, they are going to be an active team in the offseason as far as bringing players in. This year they seem to be making smarter moves. Gibbs wanted Kearse, but his price was too high. In earlier years, Snyder may have had more input and signed him to whatever he wanted.

They are definitely taking a more Sabermetrics value based approach than previous seasons. When you look at the numbers, Washington will be paying Springs & Portis what Denver has to pay just Bailey. Good move if you ask me. Much smarter this year.

I just think Bagel is mad that the only FA moves Miami made was to get a 3rd string QB to replace Fiedler.
:-D
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:15 pm

The deals the Redskins are making this offseason are definitely making more sense than the last few. The only glaring mistake seems to be the trade for Mark Brunell when they had a good QB in Patrick Ramsey - or if they were set on adding a new one, Jeff Garcia became available only a week or so later.

I question the chemistry the team will have, though. Teams over the last few years have proven that a good gameplan on either side of the ball can be more effective than fielding a team with new, talented faces. If the Redskins mesh early, they will be very scary - that is a pretty big if, though.

...Not to mention they will be in salary cap hell in a couple years if they plan on keeping all of these additions.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby terpfan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:56 pm

Canacuna wrote:...Not to mention they will be in salary cap hell in a couple years if they plan on keeping all of these additions.

haha "salary cap hell" just makes me laugh now. i love how everyone thinks they now more about contracts then the redskins front office... its more complicated than pay this guy this amount of money for this amount of time. the skins have avoided this "cap hell" so far...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:01 pm

usually the Skins go spending their money on 40 year old has beens but this year they are getting guys who are in their prime like Portis, Springs and Griffin. Brunell is a little older but is still a good QB. I like their moves so far, the Brunell deal is the only one where i question it a bit.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Football Talk