New starting RB in Denver?

Moderator: Football Moderators

New starting RB in Denver?

Postby TTTBone » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:04 pm

Courtesy Fanball.com:
Mar 4, 2004 2:38PM ET
Broncos: Garner interested in Broncos

THE NEWS

The Denver Post is reporting that the Broncos made immediate contact with Oakland running back Charlie Garner about helping to fill the void left by Pro Bowl running back Clinton Portis. If Garner's agent Brian Levy is any measuring stick, Garner is very interested. "He loves coach Shanahan, admires his offense. He loves how the Broncos take care of their running backs," Levy told the Denver Post. "That would be an amazing marriage. With Denver's system, it would be scary what type of numbers Charlie would put up?and with Charlie in Denver, there's no reason the Broncos shouldn't be one of the top two or three favorites in the AFC this season."

Interesting... of course Garner's agent isn't giving us exactly an objective opinion of what Garner and the Broncos could do in 2004. None the less, I think a great pass catching RB would be a good fit in Denver.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NittanyLions » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:12 pm

if they get him this could very well be their year to go far. he should do well in denver. if this happens, gotta feel bad for everyone who jumped on mike anderson :*)
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Roseman » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:17 pm

it would be an intrguing move to grab Garner but he definetly not a long term solution. Garner has a small body and could really beatin up in the Den offense like so many RBs before him
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:11 pm

...He's better than Quintin Griffin and Mike Anderson...
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:20 pm

he's not as good as portis but i'll take Champ, Garner and a second rounder over portis.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Sandwich » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:00 pm

I agree with Terp. This is a nice fit but not a long term solution. They will need to tweak the O a little to get Garner in the flat to catch balls. He doesn't have the speed to hit the hole the way Portis did and he doesn't have the size or youth to bang between the tackles the way he used to. More sweeps, screens and half back roll outs.

Having said that I still think Shannahan is a genius and if anyone can design an O around Garner, he can.

Garner jumps a few spots for me. Definitely higher then the previous options.

;-D
"They're Killing Me Whitey! They're Killing Me"!
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Re: New starting RB in Denver?

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:01 pm

TTTBone wrote:"He loves coach Shanahan, admires his offense. He loves how the Broncos take care of their running backs,"

Yeah, he love how they took care of Portis and opened up a paycheck for him. Welcome to the world of the utility back, Charlie. Is this the same back that was a stud 2 years ago?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Re: New starting RB in Denver?

Postby TTTBone » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:08 pm

moochman wrote:
TTTBone wrote:"He loves coach Shanahan, admires his offense. He loves how the Broncos take care of their running backs,"

Yeah, he love how they took care of Portis and opened up a paycheck for him. Welcome to the world of the utility back, Charlie. Is this the same back that was a stud 2 years ago?

Hey now, watch the quotes. That's Garner's agent Levy talking not me ( I'm just the messenger of rumors). I'm all for it, as it gives my weak, inherited Khronic Keeper RB crew a little life.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin
TTTBone
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby steelyeri » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:59 pm

garner is a good back and has a couple of years left in him. he would have two maybe three good years in denver. during this time they could phase in griffin.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby mannubhai » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:07 pm

I think the Broncos would make a mistake by getting Garner. All they need to do is pick a RB in the draft and give him a shot to be the rookie of the year.

If Broncos draft a RB in the first two rounds, I would definetly grab him in the fantasy draft around the 4th round.

History repeats...Rookie of the year and a Broncos RB..I see a pattern.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk