Marcus Washington to Redskins... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Marcus Washington to Redskins...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Marcus Washington to Redskins...

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:58 pm

Len Pasquarelli from ESPN.com wrote:Continuing to rebuilding their defense by pillaging the unrestricted free agent class, the Washington Redskins on Thursday evening reached a contract agreement in principle with standout linebacker Marcus Washington, ESPN.com has learned.

The four-year veteran, who had played his entire career in Indianapolis, was generally regarded as one of the top 20 players in the unrestricted talent pool, and also had visited with the Pittsburgh Steelers this week.

He was en route to Washington on Thursday evening to approve a six-year contract worth slightly more than $24 million. The contract includes a $7 million signing bonus and total bonuses of about $10 million in the first three seasons.

Washington, 26, will become the fourth defensive veteran acquired by the ever-aggressive Redskins this week. The Redskins earlier added end Phillip Daniels, tackle Cornelius Griffin and cornerback Shawn Springs to a defense that statistically ranked No. 25 in the league in 2003.

A very good athlete, Washington should fit very nicely into the defensive scheme of new coordinator Gregg Williams, who likely will devise ways to use the former Auburn star both as a blitzer and in coverage as well.

Redskins officials had targeted Washington as a priority even before the official start to the free agency period. It is not yet known if he will play the strongside or weakside spot in the revamped defense.

A three-year starter, Washington was a second-round choice in the 2000 draft. After one year as a backup and special teams performer, he moved into the lineup in 2001 and has started 47 games in his career. He has 251 tackles, 18 sacks and two interceptions, with seven forced fumbles and 22 passes defensed.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 5062
Joined: 7 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Home sweet home.

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:09 pm

Good thing the Skins only had $1,000,000,000,000 on their cap! How is this possible? I know they use fuzzy math in Washington, but didn't think that meant the Skins too.
If they can get anything out of their O-line, they are going to be a real playoff threat.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16302
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:12 pm

moochman wrote:If they can get anything out of their O-line, they are going to be a real playoff threat.


If chemistry is as important as some people say it is, the Redskins will be a mess. Either way, it should be pretty exciting.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 5062
Joined: 7 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Home sweet home.

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:18 pm

can someone please explain to me how the Skins can afford to sign so many players so such large contracts??? to me it doesnt add up or even come close to it. looks like another good signing though.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2121
Joined: 8 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: winnipeg, canada

Postby steelyeri » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:13 pm

Purple_Pride wrote:can someone please explain to me how the Skins can afford to sign so many players so such large contracts??? to me it doesnt add up or even come close to it.


it's the way that they structure the contracts. they pay less the first few years than they do in later ones. they also pay larger signing bonuses which help aleviate the amount that counts against the cap.

i think they are trying to make a short run to win it all this year or next. because in a couple of years they are sure to run into big cap problems.
Image

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 506
Joined: 2 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: All up in you

Postby terpfan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:14 pm

wooohooo. washington will play strongside so lavar can be moved back to his natural position at weakside. both are fast and explosive and will be used often to blitz i imagine. i like this signing alot!! :-D
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 11116
Joined: 30 May 2002
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:29 pm

everyday i hate you skins fans more. lol. you have already signed Brunell, got portis, daniels, springs and washington and my frickin vikes have 30+ million and cant get winfield. sigh.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2121
Joined: 8 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: winnipeg, canada

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:48 pm

steelyeri wrote:
Purple_Pride wrote:can someone please explain to me how the Skins can afford to sign so many players so such large contracts??? to me it doesnt add up or even come close to it.


it's the way that they structure the contracts. they pay less the first few years than they do in later ones. they also pay larger signing bonuses which help aleviate the amount that counts against the cap.

i think they are trying to make a short run to win it all this year or next. because in a couple of years they are sure to run into big cap problems.


Yeah, Washington is going to be in cap hell in two years--all the deals are backloaded.
Guest


Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby hayesb26 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:04 pm

I betcha they won't be having cap problems.. Everyone said that a while back to and theyre fine.. Snyders a smart guy, hes not gonna do something stupid like that
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4031
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: it's always march madness

Postby terpfan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:24 pm

Anonymous wrote:
steelyeri wrote:
Purple_Pride wrote:can someone please explain to me how the Skins can afford to sign so many players so such large contracts??? to me it doesnt add up or even come close to it.


it's the way that they structure the contracts. they pay less the first few years than they do in later ones. they also pay larger signing bonuses which help aleviate the amount that counts against the cap.

i think they are trying to make a short run to win it all this year or next. because in a couple of years they are sure to run into big cap problems.


Yeah, Washington is going to be in cap hell in two years--all the deals are backloaded.

that doesnt mean that all that moeny wil have to be paid out at the same time. just wait and see. like hayes said everyone said the skins would be in cap hell soon 2 or 3 years ago and look where we are. i think it may be that other teams just dont understand how the cap can be used to its fullest, since most of them dont get close to trying. (sorry vikes :-) )
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 11116
Joined: 30 May 2002
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: moochman and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 3:51 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact