Arrington Contract Dispute... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Arrington Contract Dispute...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Arrington Contract Dispute...

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:48 pm

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:Redskins linebacker LaVar Arrington spoke for the first time on Wednesday regarding a dispute that has arisen over whether the contract extension he signed in December is $6.5 million lighter than it should be.

Last week, Arrington's agents said that the contract filed by the team with the league office didn't match the terms of the deal to which they had agreed.

"I'm not here to sit here and mudsling with anybody," Arrington said while attending the news conference to announce the acquisition of quarterback Mark Brunell. "I'm a Washington Redskin, and I've been one faithfully since I've been here. And it's a travesty that that [the contract issue] has taken place in recent weeks.

"But we'll get it handled. It's business. Things go wrong in business sometimes. It is what it is. It's not going to affect my view of this team or any one of those coaches or anything like that. There was a mishap. We need to get it fixed."

The two sides starkly disagree regarding the question of whether Arrington was shortchanged.

"LaVar's contract was reviewed by his agent in draft form numerous times," Redskins spokesman Karl Swanson said. "We made suggested revisions and when those revisions were incorporated, he approved them.

"A month later, the agent claimed that something was left out the contract. If anyone owes an explanation to LaVar, it is his agent."

Source: Arrington Calls Contract Flap "Travesty"
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:56 pm

yeah this is an interesting little issue but i expect it to be resolved. snyder just pay the man!
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:36 pm

"LaVar's contract was reviewed by his agent in draft form numerous times," Redskins spokesman Karl Swanson said. "We made suggested revisions and when those revisions were incorporated, he approved them.
Does he have TO's agent? What is an agent's job? unreal.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:47 pm

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:Setting aside for now the question of whether the allegations being made by the Poston brothers regarding the official amount of the LaVar Arrington contract have any connection to rumors that the NFL might be investigating the 'Skins for making under-the-table payments to Arrington, reaction around the league to the news that the Postons believe the 'Skins have shorted Arrington has been decidedly against the notorious tandem of agents.

As one agent explained to us, the blame for the screw-up falls squarely on the Postons, unless it can be shown that someone in the Redskins front office forged signatures and initials on the "real" contract.

The agent told us that, when the official paperwork arrives, the process of proofreading and approval can become tedious. Most players don't have the patience to wade through the verbiage with their agent -- and many agents aren't inclined to do the fine-toothed-comb thing, either.

It's possible, then, that the Postons didn't exercise due care when the time came to read the deal and sign it. And even if the 'Skins somehow pulled a switcheroo in an effort to dupe the agents, it's their own fault for not ensuring that the language meshed with their understanding of the deal.

As another agent explained to us, it's possible that someone close to Arrington (perhaps his mother, who is very involved in his career) eyeballed the deal after the fact and realized that something was amiss. It's also possible that the Postons might merely be raising a ruckus with the Redskins in an effort to shift the focus away from their own potential negligence, which could result in a major claim being made against their liability policy (if. of course, they've had the foresight to buy insurance).

And if the Postons truly believe that they were snookered, there should be some evidence of it -- and they should cough it up. It simply won't be enough, in our view, for the Postons to pit their word against that of the team.

Postons Bear Blame for LaVar Deal
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Return to Football Talk