Sean Taylor - Stud or Dud? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sean Taylor - Stud or Dud?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sean Taylor - Stud or Dud?

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:43 pm

I've read some conflicting reports about safety Sean Taylor. First, the glowing review everyone has become accustomed to by now...

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:We know, we know. We've got Miami safety Sean Taylor going too low in our mock draft.

And we might have to reshuffle the deck in light of Taylor's performance at Saturday's Pro Day work out at the "U"'s Coral Gables campus.

Taylor scaled back his workout due to a "tweaked" hamstring, but scouts were still impressed by what they saw.

"He was just fine out there,'' said Cleveland Browns defensive coordinator Dave Campo. "He certainly didn't hurt himself at all with the workout. He's a very smooth athlete -- and big. He's a very impressive football player.''

Others gushed at the overall quality of the draft-eligible Hurricanes.

"Maybe five or six guys will be first-round picks,'' said Houston Texans offensive coordinator Chris Palmer. "They have an excellent program here. It's like a mini combine."

Source: Taylor Impressed in Limited Work

...And this one...

ProFootballTalk.com wrote:A league source tells us that, despite published reports singing the praises of Miami safety Sean Taylor in the wake of his Saturday workout at the "U"'s Pro Day, Taylor's workout "sucked."

(Litigation avoidance alert -- the following quotes are the opinions of a league insider, not statements of fact.)

Per the source, Taylor "ran slower than expected, he was out of shape, looked listless in the drills, and did everything half-assed."

It was reported that Taylor cut the session short due to a tweaked hamstring. "The 'tweaked' hamstring," said the source, "was an excuse for not being in shape.

"We are not stupid," the source added. "If you have a ham[string] pull, you are not able to do drills. He did the drills but only like an out of shape fat guy. He was sucking wind big time."

As a result, the source predicts that Taylor "is not one you can trust and I see his draft stock falling. He has had weeks to get ready for this workout and wasn't. What does that tell you?"

The source summed up his thoughts as follows: "[This is] [a]nother case of a very immature junior who thinks he is better than he is. I wouldn't touch the guy. A great talent, but what are you buying? A potential bust. He is no different than Clarett and others who think that we owe them something. We owe them nothing. These are job interviews and they are failing big time."

Source: Taylor's Workout "Sucked"
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:24 am

I wonder what qualifies you as being a "league insider". I suppose a towel boy would qualify. It's not like coaches and scouts aren't afraid to rate someone poorly, they do it all the time.

You just have to be good at reading between the lines. Based on Campo's comments, you could interpret that as "he didn't help himself" either. I haven't read anything in total awe and praise or totally putting Taylor down either. I take that to mean that he is obviously more gifted than other players in the draft and will be a high draft pick and good player with the right coaching.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Roseman » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:33 am

I dont think Pro Day or the combine will affect Taylors draft status all you have to do is pop in any Miami game from last year and you will see that this guy is the real deal!!! Dont even look at his speed or physical size this guy just flat out makes play!!!!
Roseman
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Location: Drinkin a Beer, I am from Canada that is all we do here!!!

Postby NFLknowitall » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:00 am

By any chance could this be some type of smokescreen? If scouts start rumors that a guy looks bad and out of shape just to try and make him drops a few spots in the draft so their team can draft him...... I wonder. He did still run fast for a safety at a 4.5 40. But that bench was weak, only doing 11 reps? Not good. He was/is a hell of a playmaker at UM. I know one thing for sure, there is no way he falls past #10, b/c the Texans are in love with him.
NFLknowitall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:03 am

Mel Kiper also reported in that Taylor was slower than expected in just about every aspect of his workout, and cut them short due to a hamstring tweak.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk